Help please! System won't turn on - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 10:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Help please! System won't turn on

I just purchased a new motherboard for my gateway 9310x....it seems with the original setup there was a cable running from the power switch on the front of the case to a connector on the factory MOBO...but with my new MOBO i don't see anywhere to put it. It's an ASUS p5Q pro.

I found some white connectors next to the USB connectors that seemed to fit the cable from the power switch but I tried them, turned the system on and...nothing. I really don't know what to do. Is there any way to override the stupid front panel system on/off switch and turn it on manually? It seems the front panel switch requires the factory MOBO to work....

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie

Default Re: Help please! System won't turn on

You can take the wires that go from the switch to the motherboard off the mobo connections, and then close the circuit manually by touching the two pins on the mobo together via screwdriver. That will start the system manually. Be careful not to touch anything else though. Just jump those two pins.

Also, DONT MAKE A HABIT of randomly plugging things in and booting ! Take my experience as cold hard advice !! I fried a mobo many years ago doing that :laughing:

Old 12-25-2008, 10:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
You can take the wires that go from the switch to the motherboard off the mobo connections, and then close the circuit manually by touching the two pins on the mobo together via screwdriver.
Which two pins?
Old 12-25-2008, 10:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie

Follow the wires from the switch down to the mobo. Lift that connector up and off where it connects to the mobo. Touch those two pins via a screwdriver or something similar.

Make sure the system is OFF first though.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
Follow the wires from the switch down to the mobo.
But I don't know where it's supposed to connect onto the new mobo...there's only one cable (4 wires) from the switch (it looks like a USB, it's 4 holes on top of 5 holes, but it's reverse what a USB is) and I don't know where it's supposed to go onto this mobo...
Old 12-25-2008, 10:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie

Hold on for a bit, I will either private message you, or try to find some pictures.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hey I found another connector that seems to fit it perfectly, it's encircled by this blue plastic boarder. It is 5 over 4 just like the switch connector. Do you think that's what I've been looking for?

Sorry I can't send pictures, my digi cam is out of batteries and my cell is broke...
Old 12-25-2008, 10:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie

Here try this:

Bypassing The Case Switch

There is a picture, plus read ahead in the article, you can see the pins to jump.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

According to the user manual it is the "serial port connector"
Old 12-25-2008, 10:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardslide315 View Post
Hey I found another connector that seems to fit it perfectly, it's encircled by this blue plastic boarder. It is 5 over 4 just like the switch connector. Do you think that's what I've been looking for?

Sorry I can't send pictures, my digi cam is out of batteries and my cell is broke...
Maybe, but try out the link I found. There will be lettering on the mobo next to the pins indicating the power pins. Check the link out ok ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardslide315 View Post
According to the user manual it is the "serial port connector"
Nope, dont use that. The area of the motherboard you will need to look for should be towards the corner, towards the case switch. This is part of the ATX form factor layout. There are differences between motherboards to be sure, but that is the general vicinity to look.

There will be various lettering on the PCB (printed circuit board) of the mobo, look for the SW power or something like that. Those two pins are part of a matrix of pins that look similar to the picture in the link I posted earlier in this thread. Let me know if that helps.

Closed Thread