HELP PLEASE! DVD Read-Reboot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratmffl

Beta member
Hello,

I recently added an additional DVD burner to my desktop which I built up in March. I bought a Sony DRU-810A so that I could copy DVD's straight to a blank DVD without having to lift the files to my hard drive beforehand. My other DVD-RW drive is an LG, model no. GSA-4167B.

My problem is that whenever I now insert a DVD disc into EITHER of the drives (which are daisy-chained via IDE cable, Sony as the master and the LG as the slave/secondary), my computer will suddenly restart without even showing a blue-screen-of-death. In the Windows error report, it says this:

"STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER"

It says this is a video card error, and since I had originally made the mistake of coupling an ATI card with my NVIDIA-chipset MoBo, I ordered up a new NVIDIA GeForce 7900GS vid. card, hoping that this would solve the issue. To my EXTREME frustration, it didn't.

It's important to note that this is only happening with DVD discs, and not regular CD-ROM's. I have inserted CD-ROM discs into both drives and everything worked normally. It's only when I insert a DVD into either drive that this involuntary force-restart occurs.

In addition to these possible fixes, I have also tried uninstalling every single bit of DVD software on my computer, disabling autorun in regedit, and taking the "hardware acceleration" feature in the Display Properties control panel down to zero and disabling "write combining", all of this in order to bypass the graphics card. When I did this, I did get one successful DVD load without a reboot, but when I inserted another DVD into the second DVD-RW drive, it rebooted again.

I have also tried switching the channels of both DVD drives, and I have also put the LG drive as a secondary drive daisy chained to the IDE hard drive, with the Sony drive as the master drive connected to the mobo separately through the other IDE connector. Needless to say, this did not help either.

I have downloaded the newest firmware and drivers for all of the involved components (i.e. the graphics card, both dvd drives), and still nothing. SO PLEASE, DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGGESTIONS FOR ME?? Thanks so much for your help, this has become unbelievably frustrating for me.

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom