Help with PC Audio Jacks

SourceForums

Solid State Member
Hey there, I've recently found out about this problem after building a new PC - whenever an audio device is plugged in, the sound only comes out from one side (For headsets, one ear, etc.). I have researched this for quite a while but first, my jack is as clean as new and there's nothing stuck in it. Secondly, I have triple checked the inside of the PC to see that everthing's been plugged in properly and there are no bent pins either. Does anyone have a solution to this? Please reply ASAP.

P.S. This is NOT a problem with the playback device. All of it work perfectly on other electronics.

P.P.S. All my settings have been configured properly. (I know this for sure as if I press hard on the lines of the playback device I can hear cut-off sounds in the other ear.)

Hey there, I've recently found out about this problem after building a new PC - whenever an audio device is plugged in, the sound only comes out from one side (For headsets, one ear, etc.). I have researched this for quite a while but first, my jack is as clean as new and there's nothing stuck in it. Secondly, I have triple checked the inside of the PC to see that everthing's been plugged in properly and there are no bent pins either.

For starters what sound card do you have ?
Onboard or pci sound card ?
Also have you checked your sound mixer settings ?
Double click the speaker icon in the system tray menu.
Click on speaker box icon, navigate to levels:
Look at your main volume level and click balanced.
Do they seem out of order or not lined up for any sound to play in your headset or speakers ?
Left and right should both be equal for surround , stereo or general mono sounds from .wav .mp3 and etc.

If you don't mind, I like to see a screen of your sound settings so I can see what I'm dealing with.

For starters what sound card do you have ?
Onboard or pci sound card ?
Also have you checked your sound mixer settings ?
Double click the speaker icon in the system tray menu.
Click on speaker box icon, navigate to levels:
Look at your main volume level and click balanced.
Do they seem out of order or not lined up for any sound to play in your headset or speakers ?
Left and right should both be equal for surround , stereo or general mono sounds from .wav .mp3 and etc.

If you don't mind, I like to see a screen of your sound settings so I can see what I'm dealing with.

Thank you for your quick reply. Here are my answer to your questions:
1. I have an NVIDIA High Definition Audio Device.
2. I have no idea what onboard or PCI is.
3. I have checked my sound mixer settings multiple times.
4. I have balanced all the sounds 100:100.
5. All the plug-ins are all working perfectly. (Only bought recently).

Here's the screenshot you've requested:
hgFosH7b0ahFlrY1AWcD2a1Y9UAuxf9pMoFk1Swhjv8

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have the Realtek HD Audio Manager installed? It's an orange speaker icon thing in the bottom right.

Do you have the Realtek HD Audio Manager installed? It's an orange speaker icon thing in the bottom right.

Yes I do, and again, this is not a software or configurations problem I believe. But again, it may be, since both my front and back jacks aren't working (one side of playback device only.), unless it's just a coincidence. Please reply ASAP.

Thank you for your quick reply. Here are my answer to your questions:
1. I have an NVIDIA High Definition Audio Device.

Here's the screenshot you've requested:
hgFosH7b0ahFlrY1AWcD2a1Y9UAuxf9pMoFk1Swhjv8

That maybe your issue right there, download the nvidia driver setup for your graphics card.
Run the installation, disable "install nvida sound drivers" and continue to run the nvidia installation.
Restart your machine and do what fargle recommended and grab your realtek hd drivers and install.
After that you're realtek hd should be your main sound device in control panel.

Last edited:
That maybe your issue right there, download the nvidia driver setup for your graphics card.
Run the installation, disable "install nvida sound drivers" and continue to run the nvidia installation.
Restart your machine and do what fargle recommended and grab your realtek hd drivers and install.
After that you're realtek hd should be your main sound device in control panel.

Tried that just then, but it didn't really work out. Any other ways to solve this?

I'd say reinstall any and all audio controllers on the computer. That's all I got :tongue: it sounds a lot more like a software issue to me than hardware.

That and dig around the real tek software to see if anything is out of place. I'm at a loss ATM. Sorry lol

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

When you have the 3.5mm plug attached to the sound card, if you grab the 3.5mm plug, and GENTLY rotate it, move it side to side, up and down, and press it into the hole with firm pressure. When doing this, does the other side ever start working, or make any clicking or noises at all?

Test this because sometimes the inside of the plug is not built correctly and it is not making full contact.

When you have the 3.5mm plug attached to the sound card, if you grab the 3.5mm plug, and GENTLY rotate it, move it side to side, up and down, and press it into the hole with firm pressure. When doing this, does the other side ever start working, or make any clicking or noises at all?

Test this because sometimes the inside of the plug is not built correctly and it is not making full contact.

Exactly what's happening. If I press it firmly on some weird part of the line, the sound cracks on the other side of the playback device. Solutions on how to test if everything fine inside the plug? Please reply ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom