help with nvidia card

Status
Not open for further replies.

soundgarden

In Runtime
I just installed a nvidia 6800 pci-e card. I haven't tried out any games yet, but it llooks like everything is working so far.

However, whenever I log into windows my screen goes black for about a second. Then whenever I click on the "Nvidia Settings" tab on the tray my screen goes black for about a second as well.

I figured the software uses that moment to gather information, but I just want to make sure.

edit...

This graphics card is unbelievable :eek: :eek: :eek:

the fact that it blacks out for a second isnt exactly...normal. :eek: if it works great with the games and such, i wouldnt be too worried if there are no other issues besides that one.

call up or email nvidia anyway to ask.

Happens to my ATi card as well sometimes. When i'm messing around in the display properties, sometimes the screen will go blank for a sec then come back with te info i wanted on the screen. i think it's normal, been doing it for a long time now and gfx card never had issues.

HELPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!

I installed the newer driver last night and everythingworked perfectly.

However, this morning I tried turning on my computer and nothing is happening. Oh god I hope I didn't connect some wire wrongly. If anything in my system is fried I will go nuts.

The geforce 6800 came with one power cord. It's joined at one end and connects to the card. The other end is split into the power cords. I put one in p4 and one in p5. I was a little hesistant since I noticed the cord form the card had three pins in them when the p4 and p5 power cords had 4 open slots for pins.

Anyone have any idea what the problem may be.

I just read this:

The card requires a PCI Express class power connector, seen on the top right of the board. Asus bundles a dual 4-pin Molex to PCIe power adapter with their retail boxed card, so if you don't have a PCIe certified power supply you can still use the card. It's recommended that you use a 350W power supply or higher with a graphics card like this. For dual 6800 Ultra cards in an SLI configuration, nVidia recommends at least a 550W power supply. The Enermax Noisetaker 2.0 600W PSU we used in testing handled dual 6800 Ultra cards without any issues.

Maybe my power supply is not compatible???? How can I know???

Please I need help ASAP.

Thanks!!!!

Well if the card worked yestersy then it is probably OK. Just try unplugging and re-seating it in the slot. It might just be a bad connection.

m3trj said:
Well if the card worked yestersy then it is probably OK. Just try unplugging and re-seating it in the slot. It might just be a bad connection.

How would the card's seating in the PCI-E slot effect the overall system power?

(sorry im a newbie to this stuff )

soundgarden said:
How would the card's seating in the PCI-E slot effect the overall system power?

(sorry im a newbie to this stuff )

sometimes electronics are dumb that way. not really a technical explanation.

i know reseating my CPU (jsut take it out and drop it back in) fixed my voltage flucuation problem completely. no idea why...it jsut fixed it.

Video Cards and RAM can do the same thing, if you're lucky lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom