Help! No Display on Startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

baltimoretim

Solid State Member
Hello. I'm a first-time computer builder and just put together a box with these components:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (Venice core)
Gigabyte Triton K8 Motherboard (w/AGP slot; no onboard video)
Nvidia GeForce FX PCI video card by Apollo
1 Gb Corsair RAM
200 Gb Maxtor SATA HD
DVD Burner
350 w power supply by Rosewill

When powered up, I get one short beep. The HD and DVD burner spin up in what seems to be a regular boot sequence. When I put a live CD (like Ubuntu Linux) in the DVD burner, it seems to start booting off of that.

I say "seems," because at no time do I get any display at all. Here are some things that I know:

1) The monitor I'm hooked up to works. I've tried it on another computer. 1a) The monitor cable is plugged into the video card.

2) The video card is properly seated in a PCI slot, not the AGP slot.

3) The video card is somehow recognized during the boot process, because when I boot without the card in the box, I get one long and two short beeps, which my motherboard manual tells me means "video card failure." So the board knows when the card is and isn't there.

4) Trying a "minimal" configuration of CPU/ motherboard/ PSU/ RAM/ video card doesn't work.

5) The video card works in a different machine.

Now, I'm trying to figure out "what's next."

The remaining cultprits appear to be the motherboard, the processor, and/or the power supply. I might also be missing something altogether.

Can somebody help me troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks,

Tim

does your mother board have an on board video card? If it does trying using that, You might not be getting enough power to the vd card.

Hi Servovectra,

No, the motherboard doesn't have onboard video.

I'm thinking that the power supply could be the problem, but shouldn't 350W be sufficient for my setup? Remember, I tried to boot with the DVD drive and the Hard Drive unplugged, so surely the power supply has enough juice for the processor and the video card?

Thanks,

Tim

Hi Ste,

Yes, I should have put "clearing cmos" in the "stuff I've done" section. This motherboard requires that you short two pins near the battery. I hit that with a jumper, walked away for 5 minutes, and tried to boot. No luck.

Thanks for your help. Do ytou think I'm right in narrowing the problem down to power supply/cpu/motherboard?

Thanks,
Tim

Do you have another video card to try in that computer, if another vd card dosnt work it would have to be your mb i would think.

Hi Serovectra,

I don't have nother video card right now; I'll try to track one down and swap it in.

Thanks,

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom