Help! No Display on Startup.
Hello. I'm a first-time computer builder and just put together a box with these components:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (Venice core)
Gigabyte Triton K8 Motherboard (w/AGP slot; no onboard video)
Nvidia GeForce FX PCI video card by Apollo
1 Gb Corsair RAM
200 Gb Maxtor SATA HD
350 w power supply by Rosewill
When powered up, I get one short beep. The HD and DVD burner spin up in what seems to be a regular boot sequence. When I put a live CD (like Ubuntu Linux) in the DVD burner, it seems to start booting off of that.
I say "seems," because at no time do I get any display at all. Here are some things that I know:
1) The monitor I'm hooked up to works. I've tried it on another computer. 1a) The monitor cable is plugged into the video card.
2) The video card is properly seated in a PCI slot, not the AGP slot.
3) The video card is somehow recognized during the boot process, because when I boot without the card in the box, I get one long and two short beeps, which my motherboard manual tells me means "video card failure." So the board knows when the card is and isn't there.
4) Trying a "minimal" configuration of CPU/ motherboard/ PSU/ RAM/ video card doesn't work.
5) The video card works in a different machine.
Now, I'm trying to figure out "what's next."
The remaining cultprits appear to be the motherboard, the processor, and/or the power supply. I might also be missing something altogether.
Can somebody help me troubleshoot this problem?