Help with new Intel DG33TL Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccasey3655

Beta member
Hello All,

Recently started a build with my Intel retail purchase program setup. So I have the Q6600 processor (with heatsink), Intel DG33TL board, I added Mushkin pc6400 1.8v 2gig x 2 (because I will be using Vista 32 no need for more memory), 500g Western Digital SATA Hard drive, Samsung SATA Dvd drive, Ultra 600w power supply, ATI Radeon HD 2400 video card and a couple of Aerocool Fans.

My initial problem was that the computer started up when I first got everything together (just the test to ensure I had everything hooked up correctly). I powered it down, moved it to its final location (2 feet away) and powered up after connecting to a monitor. Well the lights flashed and then nothing. Tried it a few more times, samething....nothing.

I preceded to email Intel. Tried some of their automated fixes. I took the memory out and disconnected all the drives, it powered up, but I heard a pop. Everything continued to run ok. I hooked everything back up and it all powered up. The heatsink fan is running, the fans are running, the hard drive is making noise and I can open the dvd drive. The big problem is....no video...no post....no bios.

I have tried booting with the onboard video card. I have tried booting with the added pcie card. Nothing. There are no beeps...no noises except the sound of fans and the hard drive starting to spin. I even changed to a different manufacturer of memory (orginally I had Gskill) to ensure the memory is at 1.8v. I have updated my issue with Intel and escalated the issue, but they have not gotten back to me yet.

I have a friend who is a Circuit City firedog (I used to work for Circuit City in the Computer department)....he is stumped. So I am at a loss. It is possible the board is bad. I have read quite a bit that this motherboard is very picky about things.

Any input/assistance would be welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Charlene

Hey welcome to TF,

Sounds like you have a textbook case of a dead board. I had a computer with the exact same problem this past summer. RMA'd the board and the next one worked perfect.

One thing you can try that you didn't mention is switching CPUs if you have another one lying around with the same socket.

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid of that...I had a feeling the board maybe dead. Unfortunately I don't have a processor that would fit the board lying around, that would be the perfect trouble shooter. Thanks for the input. I can't think of what else it could be at this point other than a bad processor or a bad board.

Thanks...C

Take the board out and try to boot out of the box. Plus you can check it for burn marks. The pop sounds like something shorted.

I will try that as well. I have nothing to lose at this point. May I ask what would change if I booted it up with the board out of the case? Other than looking for any black marks for a short. I am just curious.

C

If it's not on metal there's a much less chance of static electricity being built up, a comps worst nightmare. It also takes away the chance of it being a case flaw, that maybe a piece of metal is touching the board somewhere. That pop could be a short. It's odd that it worked after the pop though.

I got the same board from the intel edge program, had none of the same problems your having....

Think it might need to go back to intel but hey for what you payed for you bundle you can't be to upset......

If you don't get it figured out RMA it to intel. Ask if they will pay shipping as it is a brand new board.....

Or rather make them pay for shipping if you can....

Like CVb724 said just to rule out any shorts with the case. I had that just jhappen with my last build. It was just one screw. I took it out and it booted.

I have the same problem with my board I got from retailedge ( dg33tl)
It booted up but it stop complelely when it reboot, nothing works I've tried everything nothing works I think Intel sold us a lemon !!!!

Just an fyi follow up on this topic. The motherboard was bad, Intel sent a replacement. Everything is up and running now!!!!! I knew something had to be wrong!!! Thanks for all the assistance!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom