Help needed: very low voltage reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabrosin

Beta member
I've recently put together a brand new system. I'm using a MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI motherboard and a Seasonic S12 550W power supply, both brand new. I downloaded the PC Alert 4 utility from PSI and upon running it, I discovered two problems. One, my system fan reads 0. This is a diagnostic problem of some sort, because I can see the fan running just fine. Two, my voltage meters for +12V reads 2.04 and is flashing red. That seems pretty bad. The other lines read 1.33 (VCore), 3.12V (3.3V), and 4.89 (+5V); all within the guidelines according to the program. I downloaded another utility, Motherboard Monitor 5, to check the readings. They were roughly the same, including a reading of 2.18V for the +12V line.

I'm not a hardware expert, so I'm not sure how to diagnose what the problem is. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Have a hooked a wire up wrong inside? Is the PSU faulty in some way, or the motherboard? How big a deal is this? My graphics card told me it's receiving low voltage and has set itself to the basics to compensate. How can I fix this?

Thanks in advance.

I doubt that you actually have a hardware problem if you were able to type all of that and have a functioning computer. If the 12V rail were at 2V, you would not be able to boot your computer:D

Sometimes in manufacturing, the probes that measure things like voltage or temperature do not report properly. I have a HDD that reports that it is running at something ridiculous like 60 C.

If you are still worried about it, take a voltmeter and measure the voltage between the black pin and the yellow pin on one of your unused molex connectors. This will give you a true reading of what your 12V is at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom