Help needed - infinite loop error

Status
Not open for further replies.

macdawg

Daemon Poster
Last night I was playing need for speed demo, I decided to try and see how high I could get the settings too, I put it on full detail and 1024 & 768 res and played for a while looked awsome.

I got a phone call and went in the other room & when I came back my monitor kept turning off, I had to do a hard reboot, windows would not load & I got a blue screen of death, said a problem is caused by the nv4_disp file and the device driver got stuck in an infinite loop.

I can only restart in safe mode w/o the BSOD, I updated drivers to 85.87 and again got BSOD immidiately, however nvidia drivers are listed in control panel and nwiz and all the other nvidia items are added to my startup.

This issue is traced back to 2001 and I cannot find a good resolution......

GGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some people with expensive RAM and power supplies also have the same issue, my PSU is ASPIRE 420 watt with 18A on the 12V.

My RAM is half Kingston PC3200 and half generic PC3200 which came with my PC, I removed the generic RAM and still get the error with the Kingston RAM.

I have an old X300 video card I will try tonight, but if that doesn't work then I am screwed because no one knows how to fix this.

I have seen posters on other forums with ATI video cards and some of them have the same problem, they just get an ATI driver file in an infinite loop.

I just updated my motherboard chipset software because a lot of AGP users say it fixes their problem, I have PCI-E but I thought I'd try anyways and it didn't work.

In task manager I have a yellow question mark (which I know is bad) next to 'video controller' which I think is the driver to my monitor? I never knew monitors had drivers but I read recently that they do so I'll try to see if I can find one.

Under display adapters my 6600gt is showing with no yellow marks.

go into display properties in safe mode and set the display to PCI graphics adapter VGA and reboot see if it goes into normal mode that way. If it does, use a driver cleaner for the vid card (removes all files and reg entries, download the driver again (may want to use an older driver instead, incase there is a compatability issue) and reinstall the driver. Also, reinstall/update the MBD chipset driver.

I just tried to reinstall mobo chipset drivers, and all the mobo drivers I could find and the error still occurs.

I've tried 4 different nvidia driver versions and each time I wipe them clean first in control panel, then run reg cleaner, then manually search for nvidia files to delete, then run driver cleaner, so I was being very thorough.

yes, but still try and set the drivers to "standard PCI graphics adapter VGA" and boot to normal. See if it works. This is just for testing to narrow down the focus of the problem and solution. Oh, and NO it doesn't matter that its a AGP card, the above listed is a generic all purpose card driver. Its kind of like video card safe mode in normal windows.

After trying everything I was getting ready to try to reformat, but I first decided to try my old Radeon X300 and it works perfect, I just played CSS almost 4 hours straight with it.

One article I saw about the infinite loop error said it could be anything, including a bad video card.

Thanks for the replies guys.

This will be the second EVGA 6600GT I've had to RMA, hopefully they'll be kind & honor the warranty for me, my PSU is strong enough for the card and I've never overclocked anything, my system is completely stable outside of that issue making it so frustrating.

I had the same thing happen to my MSI 6600GT, RMA'd it, same problem. It seems to be an issue with over working the card. It would only happen to me after running 3dMark05 3 or 4 times in a row or playing Farcry on really high settings.

So do you think a new video card will work if I just keep the settings down a little more, all I really want to play is CSS and possibly BF2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom