Help needed!!!! ATI Radeon 9600 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2006, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Unhappy Help needed!!!! ATI Radeon 9600

Please I need any kind of help.

Last summer I got a Connect3d Ati Radeon 9600 256mb card. It worked like a dream until September when it become a nightmare. After several computer crashes (even formatting hard drive and re-installing windows) I still got problems with the card. I tried to update to the newest drivers but still got so many errors , lock-ups and crashes. I can only play for a certain amount of time before it will crash. Last night I downloaded the new Catalysis(sp?) from ati and after restarting my computer I got an error that the application will be terminated.

I have read so many post from problems with the same card that I don't know what to do.

How can I erase the previous drivers? Didn't installed them from the connect3d cd after re-installing since the pc recognized the card.
Where can I find these drivers??

I read something about changing the clock speed?? any directions will be appreciated.

Thanks ...Pinky

1gb ram
Pentium 2.8
asus P4sd-la motherboard
ati radeon 9600 256mb form connect 3d

Old 01-21-2006, 01:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

You should always do a clean install of drivers when updating drivers to avoid conflicts.

Use a program called Driver Cleaner Pro and follow the instructions included.

Don't use the newer Catalyst drivers for older cards. They are optimized for newer ones. With that card I recommend 4.12 or 5.1. You can get older drivers from the ATI site they have a previous drivers section or you can go to driver heaven. They also have Omega drivers there which many gamers prefer.
Closed Thread