help me identify my hardware failure plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axxion V

Baseband Member
hi i recently built a system and all was working fine for about 2 weeks when my system froze while simply browsing my facebook. the pc was completely locked up so i pressed the reset button and then i got no video to my monitor. after a couple google searches (from my phone) i tried swapping my memory around and check power connections to my card and verified all connections. after reboot, i had video but after loading windows i got a BSOD, windows reboot on its own. i then got to the login screen and once i attepmted to put in my password, the system froze with a high pitched noise coming from the speakers. reset once more only to have no video once again. being novice in troubleshooting that is where i stopped.. specs as follows:

AMD Athlon II x4 640
4gb (2x2) Mushkin Silverline 1333 1.5v
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO motherboard
BFG GTX 275
Western Digital 500gb hdd
Kingwin 610w psu
Windows 7 64 bit

everything is new but the psu is a few months old, had it before the build and i got the gtx 275 from a friend used.

i feel in my gut its either my power supply is bad even though it shows NO other symptoms but what was described above or my hard drive is bad. if anyone can give me some trouble shooting steps to follow please do so. thank you!

If you can get into Windows, press F8 before the Windows splash, and there should be an option there to not automatically reset after errors. The BSOD will tell us that answer.

It is mostly like the HDD or RAM. Let's not point fingers until we know for sure. We need the stop error number, like 0x000.

ok ill see if i can get that.

ok. well before i hooked the computer back up i pulled 1 stick of ram out of slot #2 and everything booted fine. i still disabled auto restart after system failure. where should i go from here? test the other stick of ram by itself?

ok scratch that.. just after my last post i got a BSOD. 0x0000001E, followed by all zeros, 00000000x0 and such.

Download Memtest86+, burn the .iso to a blank cd. Restart the pc with the Memtest86+ cd in the drive, Memtest86+ should load up and perform a test of your memory. Test each stick of Memory one at a time and run each stick thru the complete test at least two times, unless you get errors. If either or both sticks generate any errors you should test them again but install them in different memory slots. Again, one stick at a time.

If either or both sticks generate errors in any slot you put them in then the memory is bad.

If the memory generates errors in one slot but not the other slot then the problem is probably with the memory slot that produced the errors.

Edit: Don't double or triple post, use the Edit button (looks like a pencil).

thanks slay got it. this is where im at so far. memstick #1 showed errors in slots #1 and #3. memstick #2 showed NO errors after 2 passes in slot #4. memstick #1 that failed, memtest showed 666mhz speed and memstick #2 that passed, showed only 200mhz. does that mean anything? also, i could not find my memory in the ram support list for my motherboard. would an incompatibility issue cause these problems?

memstick#1 failed in slots 1 and 3, what are the results if you test memstick#1 in slots 2 and 4?

You should test memstick#2 in slots 1 and 3.

What slots were you using originally? What memory are you using, brand and model#? Can you give us a link?

I had a little more time tonight to tinker with this problem. i retested memstick#1 (original bad stick) in slot 4 and it passed multiple passes. tested again in slot 2 and passed multiple passes. tried memstick#2 (known good stick) in slots 1 and 3 but i can't seem to get video to my monitor, also the dvd drive doesnt seem to start memtest. so it looks like slot 1 and 3 are no good, which sucks because i cant get dual channel on either side.

i was originally useing slots 3 and 4.

mem link:

http://mushkin.com/Memory/Silverline/996585.aspx

guess ill have to RMA this board to newegg. Thank you for the help, problem solved and a little experience to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom