Help me find this driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
Seriously, guys... I don't think I'm retarded. I really don't. But I was at my girlfriend's house and her mom asked me why her cd rom drive no longer worked (DVD RW). I looked and sure enough, device manager had a yellow splat.

It's a Dell Dimension E510.

Device Manager, along with PC Wizard, said it was a Philips DVD+-RW 8801. Okay, great. Off to the Dell site I go. Yet, I can't find anything regarding Philips.

So, to Google I go. And all I find are forums of people asking for the driver.

Seriously, am I stupid? I can't find it to save my life. Anybody got any huge driver web sites that won't bombard me with ads or try to charge me if I can find the driver?

Did you try to remove the device from the Device Manager and see if Windows will auto install it upon reboot? HAve you tried any of the media that came with the PC? Those are usually the best places to start.

I tried myself and got the same results. I have looked on the Dell site myself and while it may be a Phillips that it is recognized as are you sure it isnt the generic HLDS drive that was rebranded?

I did uninstall it and rebooted, both in regular mode + safe mode for the **** of it. I also tried to update the driver through windows update.

I guess I really should try that. I mean it's an official Dell computer, and in my experience Dell has been great with having everything on the web site you need.

And for the pre-packaged software, I wasn't able to find any. But it's her mother's computer, and she wasn't around. I just talked to her on the phone and she asked me if I could look at it quick.

Well next time try to get the service tag. That will help you get the exact drivers needed. I know that with my Dell Inspiron i jsut install XP when it came with Vista. (Wife's laptop)

I went to look for Audio driver. I know it has a RealTek audio chip in there but that wasnt the driver available thru Dell for the sound device. I installed what they gave me and it worked. So i wasnt asking any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom