HELP - Limited Virtual Memory! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2006, 02:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Exclamation HELP - Limited Virtual Memory!

Hi Guys.

I am recieving the following error when logging onto my user at this home pc.

"Limited Virtual Memory - Your system has no paging file or the paging file is too small.
To fix this problem, go to system in control panel, click the advanced tab and under performance, click settings on the advanced tab, click change. Click 'custom size' and then type an initial or maximum paging file size."

I went to do what it says however i have no idea what im actually meant to or what size i should type in.

Some screenshots:

PLEASE help me guys ASAP. It's much appreciated

- Riot
or reply in this thread.

Old 06-09-2006, 02:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default Re:

How much RAM do you have in your system?

You've currently only got 127MB of HDD space allocated for virtual memory (swap / page file). Looks like you need to set your virtual memory size again.

The known rule is to set both the Initial and Maximum sizes to 1.5 times the amount of RAM you have installed in your system.

For example, if you have 1GB of RAM, multiply it by 1.5 and the optimal page file size is 1536MB.

Further information available in the following guide:

|Desktop PC| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)| |AMD FX 4100 Black Edition 3.6 GHz @ 4.0 GHz OC| |Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 PRO| |Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Super Overclock 1GB| |ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD SATA III HDD| |Kingston HyperX 8GB PC3-14900 DDR3-1866| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 06-09-2006, 07:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

You are using more page file space than what you have specified.

Change the setting to "system managed size"
Old 06-16-2006, 04:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hey guys.

I tried each of your suggestions ^^ and i still got the same error everytime i log on.
It seems to have affected alot things including my hard drive, sound etc. I can't reboot my comp because it wont pick up any cd entered and no sound works. Also i keep gettings errors that close my msn and sometimes shutdown my computer...
I feel i cant do anything to help it! as my last option was to re boot but i cant do that!
Please, any suggestions!?

Old 06-16-2006, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I'm not sure whats wrong with it. You may want to try making a new partition on the current disk with a program like Partition magic and configure it to be the page file. Make it around 1200MB.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

actally is best if a boot partiton is better dun make this mermory thing,

Closed Thread