Help with laptop GPU replacement? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via Skype™ to Zparx
Exclamation Will this new graphics card fit / function properly in replacement of my old one?

I have a Dell Latitude D630c. I want to install a new video card for my laptop because the one I have has failed.

**********Here are the properties of the current video card:**********

Quadro NVS 135M

*CUDA Cores: 8
*Core clock: 400 MHz
*Shader clock: 800 MHz
*Memory clock: 594 MHz (1188 MHz data rate)
*Memory interface: 64-bit
*Total available graphics: 894 MB
*Dedicated video memory: 128 MB GDDR3
*System video memory: 0 MB
*Shared system memory: 766 MB
*Video BIOS version: 60.86.68.00.16
*IRQ: 16
*Bus: PCI Express x 16

**********Here are the properties of the video card I want to install:**********

GIGABYTE GeForce 210 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP

*Part #: GV-N210SL-1GI
*Core clock: 520 MHz
*Shader clock: 1237 MHz
*Stream processors: 16
*Effective memory clock: 1200 MHz
*Memory size: 1 GB
*Memory interface: 64-bit
*Memory type: GDDR3
*Passive fanless cooling
*Low profile bracket included

Here's a link to the above mentioned video card just in case I missed anything important:
tinyurl.com/6orv7qy

Here is the manufacturer's page with this video card, which includes a more detailed description of its properties/capabilities:

tinyurl.com/7ow8yzx
So will it fit in my laptop? Thank you very much in advance!

Old 04-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Will this new graphics card fit / function properly in replacement of my old one?

No, you can't install a desktop card into a laptop. You need to do a lot of Google search to see if you can even replace the GPU in your laptop. 9 times out of 10 you can't. If it is still under warranty maybe you can send it back.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Will this new graphics card fit / function properly in replacement of my old one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
No, you can't install a desktop card into a laptop. You need to do a lot of Google search to see if you can even replace the GPU in your laptop. 9 times out of 10 you can't. If it is still under warranty maybe you can send it back.

Drats! How were you able to identify that the replacement card is for a desktop? I had no idea ):
Old 04-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
OCZ SSD Enthusiast

A laptop graphics card generally has an M for mobile after the name.
Asus P5Q Motherboard * OC'ed Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.82ghz w/ Arctic Silver 5 * OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066ghz * Kingston Hyper X (2x2gb) DDR2 1066ghz * EVGA GTX 560 Ti Superclocked * Ultra X-Blaster ATX Mid-Tower * OCZ Vertex 2 120gb * WD Caviar Blue 500GB 7200 rpm * OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU * Sony Optaric DVD Burner * Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit * 22" LG Flatron W2252TQ LCD * LG Flatron E2281

Samsung Series 7 17.3" Laptop w/ 256gb Vertex 4 SSD
Old 04-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zparx View Post
Drats! How were you able to identify that the replacement card is for a desktop? I had no idea ):
Because it said PCI-E 2.0. Laptop cards usually say MXM3b or something like that.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Exclamation >> GPU failure. Copper heatsink help?

Okay, so recently my GPU failed. Whenever I would start up my laptop the screen would light up, but I would see nothing. I figured the GPU overheated because more often than not the temp of the gpu was way higher than normal. So I followed tutorials online and took apart the laptop. I have found that it uses a copper heat sink to cool the gpu. However, all of the thermal paste for the gpu has melted away completely. Also, to my surprise, I found A TON of dust clogged up in my fan, which was cleaned out immediately. That had to have been the reason the paste was melted away. Before I put my laptop back together I'd liked to know if the gpu itself is completely done, or could I buy and apply new thermal paste for it and be okay?

Thank you in advance!
Old 04-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Re: >> GPU failure. Copper heatsink help?

The only way youre going nto know if its okay i to repaste and try it out.

So get some new TIM and fix it up.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Tried it, but it didn't work. I even waited a full day... I guess I have to replace it, but I just don't know where in the world I could buy a replacement. It isn't integrated into the motherboard, I can take it out, but it's this little chip about 3x3 centimeters with nothing special about it at all! Every other video card I've seen looks fancy -__- I'm doomed :/

It's been a couple weeks now and I've grown increasingly frustrated with this issue. I need to replace my gpu for my laptop because it has failed. The problem is, I have NO CLUE what to look for online or in stores as far as what would be a suitable replacement. I have taken pictures of the hardware I suspect to be the gpu. This is so someone can maybe guide me to the proper search terms when I try to find a replacement.

Here is a picture of the hardware right side up facing forward:

Here is a picture of the hardware facing backwards (still right side up):

Here is a picture of the compartment that held the hardware above in place on the motherboard. The compartment has a locking mechanism for the hardware:

Here is a picture of the copper heat sink in place on the motherboard over top where the hardware (presumably the gpu) above would sit:

It would mean the world if someone could find me the answers I need. I just want to know what the hardware depicted in the first two pictures above is, and where to find a replacement, as the one above has failed....Thank you in advance!
Old 04-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Default Re: Help with laptop GPU replacement?

That would be a CPU, not your GPU.
Your GPU is soldered onto the motherboard. It has the white square thermal pad on it in your pic.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Re: Help with laptop GPU replacement?

Usually when the GPU fails in a laptop, that's the end of the laptop.. It's pretty hard / expensive to get it replaced without a warranty that covers it.

Battle.net: iFargle #1561 || Steam/Origin: iFargle
Closed Thread