Help, Just finished a build and wont boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dm3k1

Solid State Member
I just finished putting together my new pc, take it to my room, plug everything in and turn on... sounded louder than it should. and froze. Turned off and unplugged all the case fans and tryed again. Still loud, left it on to find where it was comming from and I beleive its comming from my PSU. I know many people have memory troubles and whatnot but that wouldnt have anything to do with it? It sounds like the PSU is overloaded, however I unplugged all my fans and am running my Xfi sound card, radeon x1950PRO, core 2 duo e6300, corsair twin2048xmsc4 ram (dc), 2 hdd's and 2 opticals. That still puts some load onto a PSU i understand, however the CPU i am currently running (which worked fine yesterday on my old build, is 500W (should be sufficient? even with case fans...)

Let me know what you guys think, any suggestions about what it might be. What happens is when I turn on the power my computer freezes on the startup screen before I can enter set-up, or press tab to see post.

I am running a asus p5n-e sli board if it helps.

The more you test it, the more you're critically wounding your computer. I don't normally suggest taking computers to professionals for diagnostics, but for your computer's sake, I highly recommend it to prevent hurting your brand new peripherals.

If your computer dies on boot, there's a good chance your power supply is too weak to carry the load, or your processor isn't getting the cooling it needs. The latter is the worse of the two. Not enough cooling can seriously harm computer peripherals. I'm not saying this to scare you, but to help you - if you start up your computer again, there's a very real possibility that you may damage something beyond repair.

Well i did some more tweaking (as you said I was scared as well) But the PSU is fine. The noise I cant explain, but its been tested and I put it back in got it to boot and ot into setup aand the cpu is fine, idling at 32 celcius. Im pretty sure I have a bad stick of ram (i know i should have checked that first, but the psu sound threw me off) I tried one stick at a time, one didnt boot by itself the other did, I tryed to put the other stick in the other dimms with the working one in DIMM1 and got the same no boot or freezing on boot. I'm going to try to post the bad stick on the first dimm one more time to see if it's the ram or the mobo (ram is pretty common, and thats what it looks like. I just hate to RMA and be without until i get a new stick.)
Anyways, no more noise from psu, boots to windows, got drivers installed but only using one stick :( My SATA II comes tmw, and I was hoping for my complete system then... But i guess not.

This may seem like too easy to be true, but the first time I booted up, I got the same problem. Turns out, one wire was hanging over the stock heatsink/fan, and it was causing a loud noise and not being able to boot, as the CPU would overheat in seconds. It sounds like a very similar problem, and would easily be fixed by rearranging things, which is what it sounds like you did. It's a possibility....but probably only I am dumb enough to get things in the way of the heatsink/fan :)

thanks, yeah I think that might have been what the noise was. now i just have to see if newegg will let me exchange the ram for another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom