Help with Intel SSD trim - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 11:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Help with Intel SSD trim

I'm booting my old XP machine with an Intel SSD. Because I'm using a RAID card to plug in the SSD, I can't do the Trim.
I've noticed my boot speed has decreased considerably in the last year or so.

There's no way I can do trim on this old XP computer, but is there a way I can unplug my SSD boot drive and use my newer laptop to run Trim?

Intel SSD application says trim is not supported behind RAID cards or USB.

If I plug the SSD into my laptop primary drive connector, is there a boot CD-ROM-type application that could run a one-time Trim using the laptop hardware without messing up my SSD XP boot installation?

Old 06-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Help with Intel SSD trim

What Intel SSD do you have? What Raid card are you using?

TRIM is a Windows command, Linux may have something similar but I'm not familiar with it.

Is your drive configured in a Raid Array or are you just using the controller for SATA support?

Old 06-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

SSD is an Intel X25-M G2 80Gb.

The SSD boot drive is plugged into SATA port of a Rosewill RC-212 RAID card (not on RAID). I have two additional HDD's on RAID 0 for data plugged into that card too. Unfortunately, the mobo on this desktop PC has no native SATA ports.

I've pretty much given up on trying to run trim on the SSD with the above configuration. The Intel Toolbox/Optimizer application detects the SSD but won't do trim behind the RAID controller card.

I was wondering if there were any other options/SW to run trim using a laptop I have. If I could boot the laptop using the DVD drive with some trim application loaded, and swap the laptop HDD with the SSD, will this be possible to run trim and then plug the SSD back on my desktop RAID controller for boot?
Will this kill my MBR or WindowsXP installation?
Old 06-16-2011, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominicus View Post
I was wondering if there were any other options/SW to run trim using a laptop I have. If I could boot the laptop using the DVD drive with some trim application loaded, and swap the laptop HDD with the SSD, will this be possible to run trim and then plug the SSD back on my desktop RAID controller for boot?
Will this kill my MBR or WindowsXP installation?
No to everything listed. You can attach the drive through a SATA port on another computer, as a "storage" drive. Then you'll need to delete your temp files and flush the recycle bin to initiate the TRIM command.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Smile Re: Help with Intel SSD trim

just registered to say i use Freespacecleaner AS-Clean and its available here Guide A simple guide for speeding up EOL OCZ SSD's.
Closed Thread