P4 1.6 GHz
40 GB HHD
17" Monitor
intel D850MV mobo
Nvidia FX5500

The prob is with the RAM....
Previously Ive bin using 64MB X2 sticks making a total of 128 MB Ram
Recently I bought a pair of sticks ie 256MB X 2 = 512MB total
The board has 4 slots. The first two were populated and the rest of the two I filled in about an hour ago. The comp worked fine for the first 15-20 min or so but suddenly restarted. Then it happened again. Now the computer starts but it doesnt give out any display. The monitor goes on standby when the computer is turned on. I tried changing the Ram the removed the new pieces then shut down the comp and removed the HDD and then re attached it But no luck!!!!!!

What do I do Now!!!!:confused::confused::eek:

I tried changing the Ram the removed the new pieces then shut down the comp

Wait, are you saying you changed the RAM while the computer was still on?

Reset cmos.
reseat ram.

what ram did you have installed?
what ram did you add?

RDRAM Memory Configuration
When installing memory, note the following:

* The four RIMM sockets are grouped into two banks:
o Bank 0 (labeled on the board as RIMM1 and RIMM2)
o Bank 1 (labeled on the board as RIMM3 and RIMM4)
* Bank 0 must be populated first, ensuring that the RDRAM installed in RIMM1 and RIMM2 is identical in speed, size, and density. For example, the minimum system configuration would use two 64 MB RIMM modules of PC600 or PC800 RDRAM.
* If the desired memory configuration has been achieved by populating Bank 0, then Bank 1 should be filled with two Continuity RIMMs.
* If memory is to be installed in Bank 1, the RIMM modules installed in RIMM3 and RIMM4 must be identical in size and density to each other and match the speed of the RIMM modules in Bank 0. The RIMM modules do not, however, need to match those in Bank 0 in size and density. For example, if Bank 0 has two 128 MB RIMMs of PC800 RDRAM, Bank 1 would require PC800 RDRAM also; however, any other supported RIMM modules such as 64 MB or 192 MB could be used.
* If ECC functionality is required, all installed RIMM modules must be ECC compliant.

The following table gives examples of RDRAM component density for various RIMM modules. Component density (counts) can be identified on the RIMM label.
Intel® Desktop Board D850MV - Tested memory

I shut down the PC first of course.
The first time I installed the RAM properly cuz the PC worked fine for 20 min. But then Shut down!!!....And how do u reset the CMOS??

I took the PC apart and then took out all 4 RIMMs and then reconnected every thing including the RAM also I took out that little round 3V battery and after 5 min placed it back. I put the BIOS in recovery mode using the jumpers but then put it to normal again......Stilll no display!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Updates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........I read the article and remover the two new 256 X2 RIMMs.....replaced it with those continuity thingeees and guess what......The displays back on......Yeh!!!!....But now the system doesnt boot and Says boot Failure System Halted

Moving to Hardware Troubleshooting Section (and being nice about not deleting it :))

That means you have no OS on your primary drive, or its not detecting that drive with teh OS on it, so either its dying or its starting to die or it got unplugged

Ok OK........I restarted the PC and then it said that CMOS battery Low.....I set the time and date on the CMOS and then rebooted this time it took me to the OS choice menu But whenever the OS was starting the comp restarted automatically.....Happened about a dozen times before I decided to Reinstall The OS....now the Os is being reinstalled.....But I still dun know what to do with the Upgrade of the RAM!

Major disaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!...I tried to c if the newer RAM modules work again and now Im back at square 1........The comp wont display the screen and even when I tried the My old 2 RAM modules only!!!!!!!!!!!!1........Im Screwed.........Can anyone point out whats going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes knowing what kind of ram you purchased will help us determine if it's compatable with your system. Also if you have a 'boot failure system halted' error you could just try to 'fix boot' with your windows CD. Sometimes when a computer crashes the OS is still fine, just the boot files in on your hard drive become corrupted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom