HELP! HDD problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like the drive died, but have you tested your SATA controller with another SATA drive yet? Or even a new cable?

i just put in a new cable...didnt work. tried using a 4-pin to SATA power adapter to see if the power supply was at fault. still no go. i dont know how im going to test a different drive as i have no others.

if i have to RMA it to newegg....what about all my data that's on this drive? is there any way to erase it?

ok well the hdd definitely spins up and makes the usual sounds. i really want to believe its the motherboard's SATA controller that's bad.

when i am in the bios and goto the option to autodetect SATA0 (which is where its plugged into) it causes the whole system to freeze up. even if the hdd isn't plugged in, it still freezes up when it tries to autodetect.

is this normal when the hdd is bad or is this most likely the motherboard?

i have some data on that drive that would set me back quite a ways of i lost it....

same thing happened to me when i got a western digital raptor off of newegg a couple weeks ago. just sent it back a couple days ago.

im gong to hold out on a sata until i get a new motherboard

well i ended up having to pay $25 for a local computer place to test my hdd for me since i don't know anyone around here with a SATA capable computer. a little ridiculous, but i'd rather know for sure what's wrong, then send off for a new hdd and find out its my mobo that's not working or vice versa.

my dad always says "you can't put a price on a peace of mind".... true that! my hdd is fine, it's the motherboard. thank GOD i didn't make a quick assumption and RMA my hdd.

i think the hdd controller died because of voltage increase. I had to raise the chipset voltage for OC stability. unfortunately, the smallest amount i could up the voltage was a pretty big jump. I think that did me in...:confused:

so, lesson learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom