help harddrive not showing in my computer

yes at the bottom right hand corner first time i put the harddrive in the desktop it said installing new hardware ?

Sorry about the late reply, but look at device manager and click drives and see what comes up ?
Start, right click on my computer hit properties, click device manager.
If your hard drive comes up with a exclamation, hit uninstall and reboot.
Same problem, if it will not update in windows professional, last hope is a new cable.

If all else fails, come back here and either I or carnage will recommend a hard drive replacement. ;)

are you able to right click on the disk in question and in the drop down menu can you select the option "reactivate volume" ? if so try that Windows should reactivate it and assign a driver letter to it, did the HDD you are trying to access come out of a windows machine, what File system is it NTFS? or FAT32 how ever FAT32 was Windows 98, ME Editions, although that shouldn't make a difference

Last edited:
hi my harddrive is coming up on my computer know but when i double click it i get a message saying drive D is not formatted fo you want to format it ?

i dont want to format it as i have files saved on the harddrive

what do i do to see my files on that harddrive without formatting

thank you

Hey its quite simple its nt the os.the hdd usually does that when it has bad sectors.you can either format the hdd by inserting a Os xp installation disc.the phase where it asks you to choose a drive,you go to the drive and format it.n.b when its done formatting you unplug your pc and plug it again.You then switch on you windows normally and the drive should show.Go to the drive and format it.After formatting it should work just fine.

hi my harddrive is coming up on my computer know but when i double click it i get a message saying drive D is not formatted fo you want to format it ?

i dont want to format it as i have files saved on the harddrive

what do i do to see my files on that harddrive without formatting

thank you

Try booting off of a Linux LiveCD and see if you can access your files that way. Something like Ubuntu should work. Burn it to a disc, and then boot off of it and see if you can access the files on the drive.

Back
Top Bottom