help harddrive not showing in my computer - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: uk
Posts: 11
Default help harddrive not showing in my computer

hi i bought a new pc and i had a second hardrive in my old pc which had no windows installed on in which have my files and other paper work saved, i put the harddrive in my new pc but its not showing up on my computer but is showing enabled in computer management.

harddrive is a maxtor diamondmax 9

can someone give me instructions on how i can view that disk and my files which i need they are important

hope someone can help thank you
__________________

sexysam777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 55
Send a message via AIM to Jiminy777
Default Re: help harddrive not showing in my computer

What OS do you have? Is the drive SATA or IDE?
Check if any jumpers on the hard drive? If you do see jumpers, is set to Master, Slave or CS (Cable Select)
What Pc do you have? Maybe check for BIOS updates in your PC vendor's website

Sometimes I will use a bootable live CD (Hirens Boot CD) and boot from Mini XP and see if windows will recognize the Hard Drive there.
__________________

Jiminy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: uk
Posts: 11
Default Re: help harddrive not showing in my computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminy777 View Post
What OS do you have? Is the drive SATA or IDE?
Check if any jumpers on the hard drive? If you do see jumpers, is set to Master, Slave or CS (Cable Select)
What Pc do you have? Maybe check for BIOS updates in your PC vendor's website

Sometimes I will use a bootable live CD (Hirens Boot CD) and boot from Mini XP and see if windows will recognize the Hard Drive there.
its a windows xp, and the harddrive is ide. it hasnt got jumper. but end row is coverd only one pin.

thers nothing on

ds master or cs enabled and cap limit

thank s
sexysam777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
cyberfox24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 9
Default Re: help harddrive not showing in my computer

Hi, if you took it out of another computer, you will have to assign a drive letter to it, Windows wont always automatically do it,

Right click on my computer and select manage, go to disk management if the disk in question isn't showing a drive letter, right click and select change drive letter and paths when you have assigned the drive letter you should then see it in my computer.
cyberfox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,515
Default Re: help harddrive not showing in my computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfox24 View Post
Hi, if you took it out of another computer, you will have to assign a drive letter to it, Windows wont always automatically do it,

Right click on my computer and select manage, go to disk management if the disk in question isn't showing a drive letter, right click and select change drive letter and paths when you have assigned the drive letter you should then see it in my computer.
Agreed with cyberfox. That's what I was going to suggest; assign the drive letter as instructed, and it should work. Since you said Disk management shows it as enabled, you should just have to assign a drive letter.

If you can't assign a drive letter, does it show a capacity (size) listed for the drive, or does it show the file system (NTFS, FAT, etc.), or does it show it as RAW?
__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: uk
Posts: 11
Default Re: help harddrive not showing in my computer

hi thanks for the reply im not home yet i will try this and let you guys know thanks
sexysam777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: uk
Posts: 11
Default Re: help harddrive not showing in my computer

hi it dosnt let me change drive letter

its showing my c drive but the other drive itsshowing in the square box disk 0 with a explanation mark aalso so says dynamic and foreign

it also doesnt show capacity on vloumes

but the drove is showing on device manager ?
sexysam777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: n/a
Posts: 2,956
Default Re: help harddrive not showing in my computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexysam777 View Post
hi it dosnt let me change drive letter

its showing my c drive but the other drive itsshowing in the square box disk 0 with a explanation mark aalso so says dynamic and foreign

it also doesnt show capacity on vloumes

but the drove is showing on device manager ?
When you attached the hard drive, did windows attempt to install its driver for it and ask for automatic reboot ?
Start windows update and see if windows might update it for you, if not test the hard drive in another machine.
If you don't see any signs of capacity or information in bios, your hard drive maybe damaged or dead.
-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Veraster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 304
Default Re: help harddrive not showing in my computer

Try using an Ubuntu Live cd. Windows has trouble reading hard drives that came out of other computers. Ubuntu (or any version of linux) has always worked for me. Once you're booted into linux, copy any files you need to your main hard drive.
Veraster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: uk
Posts: 11
Default Re: help harddrive not showing in my computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXP-Technology View Post
When you attached the hard drive, did windows attempt to install its driver for it and ask for automatic reboot ?
Start windows update and see if windows might update it for you, if not test the hard drive in another machine.
If you don't see any signs of capacity or information in bios, your hard drive maybe damaged or dead.
yes at the bottom right hand corner first time i put the harddrive in the desktop it said installing new hardware ?
__________________

sexysam777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New SATA HD not showing up in computer; showing up in BIOS Total Immortal Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 2 10-30-2009 11:23 PM
external HD not showing up in my computer. badboyzz77 Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 3 12-12-2008 03:46 PM
Maxtor 6Y160P0 showing as 32gb when it's a 160gb harddrive.... marc.safc Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 2 01-07-2007 09:12 AM
HDD not showing in my computer timmer Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 3 08-15-2006 10:54 AM
2 harddrives, 1 not showing up in My Computer tyledogg Microsoft Windows and Software 4 07-25-2004 08:49 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.