help harddrive not showing in my computer

sexysam777

Solid State Member
hi i bought a new pc and i had a second hardrive in my old pc which had no windows installed on in which have my files and other paper work saved, i put the harddrive in my new pc but its not showing up on my computer but is showing enabled in computer management.

harddrive is a maxtor diamondmax 9

can someone give me instructions on how i can view that disk and my files which i need they are important

hope someone can help thank you

What OS do you have? Is the drive SATA or IDE?
Check if any jumpers on the hard drive? If you do see jumpers, is set to Master, Slave or CS (Cable Select)
What Pc do you have? Maybe check for BIOS updates in your PC vendor's website

Sometimes I will use a bootable live CD (Hirens Boot CD) and boot from Mini XP and see if windows will recognize the Hard Drive there.

What OS do you have? Is the drive SATA or IDE?
Check if any jumpers on the hard drive? If you do see jumpers, is set to Master, Slave or CS (Cable Select)
What Pc do you have? Maybe check for BIOS updates in your PC vendor's website

Sometimes I will use a bootable live CD (Hirens Boot CD) and boot from Mini XP and see if windows will recognize the Hard Drive there.

its a windows xp, and the harddrive is ide. it hasnt got jumper. but end row is coverd only one pin.

thers nothing on

ds master or cs enabled and cap limit

thank s

Hi, if you took it out of another computer, you will have to assign a drive letter to it, Windows wont always automatically do it,

Right click on my computer and select manage, go to disk management if the disk in question isn't showing a drive letter, right click and select change drive letter and paths when you have assigned the drive letter you should then see it in my computer.

Hi, if you took it out of another computer, you will have to assign a drive letter to it, Windows wont always automatically do it,

Right click on my computer and select manage, go to disk management if the disk in question isn't showing a drive letter, right click and select change drive letter and paths when you have assigned the drive letter you should then see it in my computer.

Agreed with cyberfox. That's what I was going to suggest; assign the drive letter as instructed, and it should work. Since you said Disk management shows it as enabled, you should just have to assign a drive letter.

If you can't assign a drive letter, does it show a capacity (size) listed for the drive, or does it show the file system (NTFS, FAT, etc.), or does it show it as RAW?

hi it dosnt let me change drive letter

its showing my c drive but the other drive itsshowing in the square box disk 0 with a explanation mark aalso so says dynamic and foreign

it also doesnt show capacity on vloumes

but the drove is showing on device manager ?

hi it dosnt let me change drive letter

its showing my c drive but the other drive itsshowing in the square box disk 0 with a explanation mark aalso so says dynamic and foreign

it also doesnt show capacity on vloumes

but the drove is showing on device manager ?

When you attached the hard drive, did windows attempt to install its driver for it and ask for automatic reboot ?
Start windows update and see if windows might update it for you, if not test the hard drive in another machine.
If you don't see any signs of capacity or information in bios, your hard drive maybe damaged or dead.

Try using an Ubuntu Live cd. Windows has trouble reading hard drives that came out of other computers. Ubuntu (or any version of linux) has always worked for me. Once you're booted into linux, copy any files you need to your main hard drive.

When you attached the hard drive, did windows attempt to install its driver for it and ask for automatic reboot ?
Start windows update and see if windows might update it for you, if not test the hard drive in another machine.
If you don't see any signs of capacity or information in bios, your hard drive maybe damaged or dead.

yes at the bottom right hand corner first time i put the harddrive in the desktop it said installing new hardware ?

Back
Top Bottom