Help with HardDisk

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikesCreation

Baseband Member
When I reboot my computer, even though no problems seem to be happening, it gives me the "Windows has recovered from a serious error" prompt. I checked out my event viewer and I have a **** load of

"The device, \Device\Harddisk2\D, has a bad block."

what does this mean, and what should I do to fix it?

That sounds like you are seeing a bad sector indication that Windows is pointing out. You can run the chkdsk command at the "Start>Accessories>Command Prompt" to have Windows run the check disk utility or go to the drive manufacturer and download the floppy tool if you have a 3.5" floppy installed and boot from the floppy for a manual startup of their drive tool.

You could be seeing the beginning of the drive's demise too. I would plan on regularly backing things up in the event the drive does decide to go later. The first thing however is to run some diagnostic tools to see if Windows is indicating any problems with the drive itself.

What make is the drive itself? Do you have a floppy drive installed? You may be able to burn a set of files onto a bootable cd-r for the drive tools themselves. But it also sounds like you have a few Windows problems to solve as well.

First run the disk check utility to see if that points at any problems with the drive itself. The other thing you can try is the msconfig utility to reduce the amount of items loading up along with Windows. Install anything new lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom