Help! Hard-drive Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Private_Shon

In Runtime
Well i have a laptop, as some of you know laptops have the hard drive on the bottom right of the keyboard (below it) well my cousin got a magnet and stuck it onto the hard-drive, at first it seemed alright, it stuck magnetically, and everything seemed fine, but after that stuff started to go wrong, stuff started to lag a bit, my large file download went corrupt. and i can't defrag or scandisk, it starts off fine (defrag) and then l8ter the whole thing goes blue and it says the blue screen of death and it dumping my physical memory. scandisk just stops at 24%.

when i put my ear up to the hard-drive i sounds like crackling but pared with the normal disk sounds. any ideas on how to fix it? will a format fix it? I've heard that in a HDD there is magnetic stuff and when i put the amgnet on it, it probably pulled all that against it. So will a format help? any other ideas?

Sounds like you may need a new HD. You can try a format but it is bad news when you hold a magnet to anything electrical. Have you every held a magnet to a tv and see what it does.

You do know how Data is written to a hard drive right? the arm inside contains a power magent, that changes the data on the harddrive, to either a 0 or a 1 all data on storage devices and just about everything else are written in 0's and 1's (Binary). When a magnet comes close to a harddrive it should screw up some of the info. but yea try a reformat first then if it still screwed up, new HD.

well i have a warrenty thingy for my laptop, so i'll just make something up, but what am i gonna say as the problem coz i can't acually say someone put a magnet up to my harddrive.

Play dumb, tell them something is wrong with your laptop and you suspect the hard drive. They won't ask mush more than a basic description of the problem.

so i just say i think something is wrong. dun i have to like say (coz last time my USBs screwed up) my USBs dun work so i can't add anything on to the laptop and it says this erorr, but with this i just go theres seomthing wrong with my hard-drive?

Tell them that your hd is making strange noises, and that you get the blue screen. That should be enough and if not just ask them what you should do. Just act as though you don't know how to troubleshoot and that you just came and turned it on and it started making funny noises and giving you the blue screen and errors. This is how most people describe their pc problems to techs anyway. Be vague and computer illiterate, they will not want to deal with you long and will just fix it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom