Help figuring out which network cable to use!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SYL\X/3K

I know <html>, do you?
i got a router off some one and im lost! its a Netgear Gateway router and im having difficulty connecting it. In the manual it says to connect a straight through cable going to the internet port of the router and to my internet modem (which i did), and when it comes to connecting the computer to the router it says to use a crossover cable but the thing is that i spoke to a network technician about connecting a internet router to the computer and he said to use a straight through cable,

thats what got me lost! i tried using the straight through cable for both my computer and the modem but i get no ip address even tho its set to automatic ip

any ideas? is the manual saying the truth or is the technician?

heres a link Support Page

Routerpic.jpg

Have you tried a crossover cable? It would make sense if they wanted you to use a crossover cable between the router and the cable modem, but not between the PC and the router. That won't work. Or shouldn't.

Or CAT6. I just use CAT6 ethernet cables between the router and modem....and also between the PC and router.

im talking about PC to router > it says to use crossover cable, while the tech guy told me to use straight through cable even tho that does work

Router to Cable modem > i use regular straight through cable

and no i havent tried crossover cable yet because i dont want to take a chance of buying a cable that wont work , thats why im asking you guys

Have you configured the router yet? Maybe it doesn't have an IP address configured so your gateway is blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom