Help Fast!! Floppy Trouble - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2005, 12:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Content Team
Default Help Fast!! Floppy Trouble

Ok.. I just bought some aerosol spray to clean out all the dust in my computer... Today i took the side cover off of the computer and opened it up.. and i cleaned all the dust on the fans and etc.. I then turned my computer back on and got a error message after the BIO's Screen:

"Floppy Disk(s) Fail (40)

Press F1 to continue or press DEL to go to the menu..

I Pressed F1 and it came up with a list of stuff about teh floppy and it didnt give me enough time to write it all down

Old 10-23-2005, 12:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

i would check that you haven't a) knocked the ribbon cable out of place b) knocked the power cable out of place c) knocked the ribbon cable off and put it back incorrectly.

Visit my website -
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 10-23-2005, 01:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Content Team

I took it off and pushed all the cables back into place and it still doesnt work
Old 10-23-2005, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
AKA ComatoseClown
Send a message via AIM to H4x3r Send a message via MSN to H4x3r

check the power cable also...and make sure that the ribbon cable isn't upside down
Old 10-23-2005, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Gray ribbon cable is reversed.
The box said \"Requires Windows 98 or better\" I installed Linux. There\'s no going back.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Content Team

Can Anyone give me a graph of somesort cuz i dont know which is which? Which one is the power cable?

After the bio's menu the floppy used to make a short grind noise and now the error pops up.. The light comes on on the floppy driver but it doesnt work.. So i dont think they power cable has to do n e thing with it?
Old 10-23-2005, 07:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Judging by what you have told us, you have either damaged the floppy drive while you were cleaning it, or you have plugged the ribbon cable incorectly. Make sure the notch at the top of the cable points upwards, and make sure you have it correctly in the motherboard and nothing is loose.

Don't worry too much about floppies, you can always pick up a new drive for 10$ if you have to. Personally I'd just not get a floppy drive, floppys are next to useless nowdays.

power cables are the ones that connect to the power supply unit, there are 4 wires connected to each of the power plugs and you have many in your computer, its impossible to put them in the wrong way so I'm sure you dont have to worry about that.
A+ certified.
I now am on the interweb:
Old 10-23-2005, 07:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Just make sure its plugged in correctly and then close up the case. If he questions why it doesn't work, deny everything and blame it on him or old, faulty equipment.
If you argue with an idiot he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 10-23-2005, 11:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

its probably not broken.... i got that error when i acidently plugged the ribbon cable into a floppy upsidedown.

the red stripe on the ribbon cable indicates the side that need to be plugged into Pin1 on the device... the 1st pin is sometimes marked on the device.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I've done that before at work. You plugged it in upside down either on the motherboard or on the floppy drive. Just pull on of them out and check to see if the pins are in the right place.

There should be a missing pin somewhere if that helps

<a href="" target="_blank"></a>
Closed Thread