Help connecting IDE DVD drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a slim ATAPI connection.Those are the slim ribbon cables that are used in Laptops to keep the slim form of the Dell XPS 200. The hard drive was connected via a SATA cable and that slim DVD Drive was connected with this slim ATAPI cable. I dont see any regular IDE connections in that video at all.

From what i gather you would need this:

Slim ATAPI to Standard ATAPI Adapter, for using a laptop CDROM/DVD/CDRW in a standard slim drive bay-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com

Where the 1 side connects to the drive and the other side has the connector for the IDE cable.

I have run across this before, it is named IDE_OPT cable by Dell technical support and pictured in the DELL XPS200 service manual mainboard component picture.

Here is a Hotlinked illustration by someone on blogspot that needs one:
Interface-cable.jpg

A pretty Blonde neighbor had problems with hers, requesting me to feel it out.

On close inspection I found the IDE_OPT copper ribbon cable had been folded and formed a slight fault in the trace. After carefully installing a replacement cable without touching the copper trace, only handling the cable heads with cheap Sears Craftsman curved jaw pliers the device did write a compiled DVD video disk, DVD data volume and successfully erase, write/read a rewriteable DVD disk.

Although, I think the main major problem was a foofoo fluff ball globbed in the drive mechanism which flew out with a low pressure air burst from the 20 gallon dual stage air compressor in the garage.:omg:

I can't tell what the drive uses. It's thinner and smaller than an IDE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom