Help configuring IDE and SATA cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shafra

In Runtime
Hi All, building a second PC. On my HDD I have a Maxtor 250GB Sata 1 drive. a diamond max pro I think, if that matters. And I have a Lite-on DVD writer. I see Sata controllers on the board, 3 of them, this is an Asrock 939 Dual VSTA board. The first one is red and says Sata 2 300gb, then there are two others. For my HDD, should I connect to the top one, the red one, or the one below it since the HDD is only Sata 1?

And on the DVD, should I set the jumpers on that to master, and plug it into IDE master? The blue slot on the mobo?

I hooked everything up, and booted it and got into the setup menu. I was able to see the the CPU and RAM and everything setup, and the temps were very cool. Is this a good start? I held off doing anything else until I hear back! Very nervous hehe

HDD: Look in your manual to see which SATA plug is for non-RAID hard drives. Plug your HDD into one of these.

DVDROM: Set jumper to Master, and plug into primary IDE slot.

Good idea on holding off since you were not sure on what to do next. There's no sense in giving yourself a headache:D

It doesn't matter what SATA Port you plug your HD into since its SATA 1. Yes plug your optical Drive into an EIDE Channel using a 40 Pin ribbion Cable.

Yea, so far so good.

Ok, will keep SATA plugged into the top Sata 2 controller. The DVD is jumpered to master, and plugged into the IDE controller marked 0. (blue one) I think I will take a break for an hour or so.

So getting to the BIOS is a good thing? hehe I'm sure I'm not out of the water yet. I keep waiting to see a fire or smell something cooking.

Let me edit this, I popped in a different CD-drive and now I start to do the XP install and it says no Hard Drive found. This is a Maxtor 250GB HDD, Sata 1, will I need to install SATA Drivers for this? Isn't there a way to put them onto my XP CD, I do not have floppy drive. In BIOS it is set to run the SATA drive in IDE mode so I did not expect to need SATA drivers. It also shows the drive in BIOS under the 3rd boot option, so it's somewhat being detcted.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom