help with computer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinjin

Beta member
My computer was working fine then suddenly it died on me. when i press the power button, it would power up for a second or half second then it would just die (does not boot). it would keep repeating this over and over. the only way to stop it was to press the reset button or the switch at the back of the PS. in the past when this happened before, i would just press down on the heatsink and cpu. i thought the heatsink was loose or something; that has worked in the past but now it isn't solving the problem. i thought it was the heatsink so i installed the cpu and heatsink but no result. i order a mobo test card to see if that could help. when i put the card into the printer port as indicated, the led lights came up with the code FF. what does this mean? does it mean my mobo is shot so i need to get a new one? i don't know what else to do. i could spend $40 by taking it in but then they might just tell me that the mobo is shot not to mention they might not be able to give me an answer either. i suppose i could use that $40 on diagnosis towards a new mobo all together. not sure what to do. PLEASE HELP!

Motherboard Manufacturer and Model: Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI PRO
BIOS Revision Number (if known): unknown
CPU/Speed: Pent D 840 3.2 Ghz
RAM Manufacturer/Type/Module Size: 2x512 mb PC 5400 DDR2
CDRW/CDROM/DVD Manufacturer and Spec:Lite-On 12x DVD/RW
Disk Drive(s): Manufacturer and Spec:250 WD
Video Card: Manufacturer and Type: GeForce 7800 GT
Sound Card: Manufacturer and Model: onboard
NIC Manufacturer/Model:eek:nboard Marvell
Power Supply Brand and Wattage:435 Thermaltake
Operating System: Win XP

What does the test card documentation say that the code means? We cant answer that for you cause we dont know what tester card you used for this purpose so we cant find out what the code means.

give us that info and we might be able to help.

this is what it says:

code: FF
Award: Int 19 boot attempt
AMI: flash ROM programming was successful. Next, restarting the system BIOS.

that is what that is listed on the manual for the codes.

What does the test card documentation say that the code means? We cant answer that for you cause we dont know what tester card you used for this purpose so we cant find out what the code means.

give us that info and we might be able to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom