help choosing replacement mobo (939) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default help choosing replacement mobo (939)

my asus a8n-e mobo died and need help choosing a replacement.

• AMD opteron 165
  • (2) 1 gig corsair xms3200 ddr400
  • geforce 6600 pci-e
  • antec truepower psu

I will not be doing any type of overclocking, and the primary role for this computer will be a local web server.

I'm thinking of either foxconn or gigabyte.

Thanks a lot!

Old 07-07-2009, 11:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Re: help choosing replacement mobo (939)

As we cannot tell you what is best for you, specifically, I would suggest simply going to any major computer component reseller, such as, browse through their boards and find one with the specifications/features that might fit your needs. If you find a few, you can narrow them down as I am sure there are plenty of reviews floating around online for just about every motherboard ever made. Not only are you more likely to be satisfied with your purchase, but you will also be gaining valuable experience that can be used to evaluate other components that you may need or want to upgrade in the future. I feel this way would be much better for you than me simply saying, 'Buy this one'. Good luck.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Since it's an older setup, you won't find a great deal of variety in mobo's. Also since it's a web server you don't need a whole lot in the way of features like sli PCI-e 16x/16x so just get something that has enough sata ports for your stuff and all that good stuff and make sure it's at a good price point for you!
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks guys...

Yeah, newegg is always my first stop, but could not find any 939 socket boards.

I should also add that this puter will more than likely end up being connected to a tv and used (very lightly) for surfing from the couch.

Does anyone know of a board that is equivalent to the A8N-e?
Closed Thread