Help! Can't boot with any graphics card but a 7800GT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
I have an old Asus A8N SLI motherboard and was running an 8800GT graphics card. Yesterday, I tried booting my computer and it wouldn't boot. I swapped out my 8800GT for my 7800GT and it boot just fine. So I considered my 8800GT has bit the dust. I went and bought a GTS 250 and am experiencing a similar but different problem. The computer boots into Windows (I can hear the chime) but I get no display. Its not a Windows problem because I get no display period, just a black screen. I've tried flashing the BIOS, tweaking BIOS settings, resetting CMOS, etc and nothing seems to work. The only thing that my computer will boot with is my 7800GT. Any ideas?

You need to put your old card in, uninstall your graphic drivers, restart into safe mode, run DriverSweeper (downloaded beforehand). This will delete of any drivers.

Your OS is getting confused of drivers.

You need to put your old card in, uninstall your graphic drivers, restart into safe mode, run DriverSweeper (downloaded beforehand). This will delete of any drivers.

Your OS is getting confused of drivers.

I thought of this, but if this was the case, wouldn't it display during POST but would just crash when starting Windows? I get no display period. Ill try that though.

Well I tried the using DriverSweeper to rule out driver issues and I my PSU is 460W and has decent readings on all the rails. The only thing I am left with is the fact that this card as well as the 8800GT are PCIe 2.0 cards while the 7800GT is PCIe 1.0. My motherboard only has 1.0 but as far as I know 2.0 is backwards compatible (it had to have been running an 8800gt all those years). Maybe somehow my motherboard lost ability to handle PCI-e 2.0 for some reason or another.

So unless anybody has any other ideas, it looks like I am going to be stuck on a 7800GT until I can build a new rig, which will be a good while, which sucks because the 7800GT hails from the era of CRTs and 1024x768 gaming. It can barely handle games newer than 2005 at high resolutions.

Edit: I am using Windows 7. Is it possible that the built in plug and play is causing my problem. Even if I remove the Nvidia drivers, the WDDM drivers remain intact for my 7800GT.

It sounds like your power supply. When your power supply was brand new it was probably producing 460 watts but age has a way of slowing reducing the amount of work it can do. It sounds like it finally reached the point where it could no longer power the 8800 but the older 7800 doesn't need as much power so it works fine, for now. Then you bought a 250 which requires more power than the 8800 so it's not going to work either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom