HELP with buying Fan/Heatsink!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NedStark

Beta member
I've only got a few minutes or so every hour to use the computer as my fan recently died and all i've got is a simple heatsink on my CPU.

My tech level is Moderate to Advanced but i'm just taking extra caution in getting a new fan.

My Computer model is an 838GM from Gateway, MOBO is a 915 G intel

Fan is a AFB0912VH from Delta Electronics

Basically my fan started going haywire a week or so ago, making loud grinding noises so I've removed it and gone in search of another. My main concern is that

A.) Do I have to use the heatsink that comes with the next fan that I buy? I'm going through NewEgg and I'm quite sure the fan dimensions match my deceased one but not sure about my old heatsink ( Intel 82915G GMCH stock).

B.) Do I necessarily need a thermal compound under my heatsink?

I'm looking at this fan right here

Newegg.com - 92mm, CPU Fans & Heatsinks, Fans & Heatsinks, Computer Hardware

but TBH I'd really like some help on what exactly I need to purchase, as I'm not sure if that fan will be compatible with my old heatsink or if the new heatsink would fit on my motherboard.

Thanks

Well as an update, I bought the fan you suggested and ended up getting a case fan, I guess that's what you meant by avoiding sleeves. I can't attach it to my heatsink (though I did apply fresh thermal paste) BUT I am idling around 60c and dropping (turned my comp on about 3-5 min ago) I've positioned the fan just like my last one, and it seems to be doing it's job, should I be worried about not having it attached?

Keep in mind I had no temp readings prior to the fan failure so this could be normal.

The "Fan is a AFB0912VH from Delta Electronics" is what you mentioned. The fan I suggested is a ball bearing equivalent. I gather this isn't the fan that's on your cpu's heatsink but your case fan. I should have known Intel doesn't use case fans on their stock heatsinks.

Well should I invest in another heatsink then? If I keep the fan well positioned should I worry about monitoring the temp?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom