help.. ::Apple:: hardware... power supply dead? or cpu board dead? help anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobnewhart

Beta member
Hi. I'm new here. and sorry if I offend anyone by asking a question about my G4 power mac.

Recently my G4 PowerMac stopped running. I push the power-on button, which lights up, but then fades away. The computer does not turn on. the first time this happened, a strange burning smell came from within the computer tower.

I traced the smell to, first, I thought was the power supply.
I've opened the power supply completely and tested the fuse, which was okay. I checked for burnt circuitry, but found none. Later, I noticed there wasn't really any smell coming from the power supply, but rather the CPU board. So I took off the heat sink covering the CPU and revealed (pictures at link below) these 6 electronic components labeled 6670AL (FDB). And the one at the far bottom-left has some peeling material around its base, so I'm only guessing that this part got scorched a little. Any tech people out there? Does it sound reasonable that this one little part could be the cause of the disfunction of my computer? Is it still likely that I have a dead power supply? Maybe I can just replace this one electronic component and everything will work fine (I'm hoping) ? thanks for any help.

here are pictures:
http://www.clewlow.com/eugene/img/

My computer has had a history of poor performance. In the beginning it would just turn off out of no where (suddenly). I assume due to heat problems in my house. I also have a dog, whose hair sometimes gets in the fans. Later on, I noticed the fan for the power supply (or it might have been the CPU), had not been running at all. Lastly, just before the computer went FUBAR, the computer would freeze constantly, esp. when the screen saver was running.

Anyone got any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom