HELP! AntiVirus Killed My PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

gate9

Baseband Member
I was half way through a Live Update with Norton AntiVirus 2005 then my PC crashed. I can not get past the Post Screen. Recovery CD will not boot. I can get into bios and settings seem fine. My PC was nearly rock solid prior to crash. Memory was tested for 4 1/2 hours last weekend without a single error. Hardware was working. What happen?

CASE TT| XASERV WINGO V8000A SL RTL
MB DFI|NF4 LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR
VGA EVGA|GF 7800GTX 256-P2-N528-AX
POWER SP|TWV500W W0057 RTL
CPU AMD 64 |4000+ ATHLON 64 939P RT
OCZ 512M DDR 400 OCZ400512V25 R
FD 1.44MB|SAMSUG SFD321B/LBL1
HD 80GB|Western Digital 7200
WRLSS-G PCI ADAPTER|LINKSYS WMP54G

I hate Norton, even that kickass system u have cant handle Norton Av.... Are there any error messages? What do you see or not see on the post screen?

No errors. Just will not boot. Seems that the hardware isn't even getting identified.

I would recommend that since you can get to the bios, press F8 a few times when you turn on your pc to get into safe mode and see if you can figure out from there what that piece of s*@# software did to your computer. If you can't figure it out from there, disable anything associatted with Norton from msconfig.exe in safe mode and try to get into windows normally. If you can get into windows that way, uninstall Norton from there because I don't think safe mode will allow you to uninstall Norton from there. Then after all that, reinstall Norton (why would you?) Also if you can get into windows normally and you uninstall Norton, make sure you go through your computer and delete everything Norton left behind. That is assuming if you can/did everything I told you.) Believe me, I know a little about Norton because how else would I be able to get buy Norton's parental controls otherwise? Oh and if you can't get to safe mode and you follow someone else's advice to get it to work, disregard what I just told you because it will cause you a few headaches trying to uninstall Norton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom