Help! Alcohol/water spilled on tower!

Wildside

Hellfire!
Long story short, me and my gf were having some fun doing shots on my desk, we've done this before in the past, and she turned her chair and knocked over the bottle and cup of water and it hit my tower. I cant upload the pictures but it was a mess! What got wet was the radiator, GPU, barely any droplets on the motherboard below, and on top of the power supply. I just dried and clean everything last night and had an industrial fan blow all the parts. I continued to clean the cables and case today and rehooked back everything. as how it should of been. When I finally turned on the back switch of the PSU, it shows that there is power in the motherboard via inside O.C, Reset, and Start buttons to manually control the motherboard from the inside if i wanted to. Anyhow, when I finally pressed the power button (on the motherboard or power button on tower), everything does light up and fans start going not even for a second and then it just goes off. I can't return it on without having to switch off the back switch of the PSU and then reswitch it on. I know a component has died and my first test is the GPU and then the motherboard. GPU is easiest when I go to Best Buy in just a moment to try out new GPU. Oh and the Blu-ray drive barely got wet too. Inside of case, the bottom inside behind the mobo. Lastly, outside of tower on the left and right got wet. All exhaust fans got little wet but the ones on the radiator got wet the most. Whew.

So just to reclarify:

Wet:

Radiator, GPU, top of PSU, droplet marks on bottom left Mobo, exhaust fans, inside bottom and bottom behind mobo, out of tower on the left, right and top, various cables.

Not wet:

HDDs, SSD, CPU, RAM, DVD drive, fan controller, internal card reader, internal front fan.

Any help is appreciated especially and school starts next week for me. I do plan on going to Frys as well. Thanks.

Last edited:
First thing I would do would be to test the psu. You can buy a psu tester or take it to a mom/pop shopand have then test it for you. Once you can confirm that it's good,
Start checking just the main board, pull it out of the case with just cpu/heatsink and fan. leave just one memory module on it and if it has on board video, use that if you can. Set the board on a non-conductive surface and connect the power supply's 24 pin connector, the 4/8 pin connector for the cpu and your video card if you have to use that. See if it'll post by temp shorting out the pwr on pins on the front panel header. If it does post, connect the hard drive and see if windows will boot up

First thing I would do would be to test the psu. You can buy a psu tester or take it to a mom/pop shopand have then test it for you. Once you can confirm that it's good,

Can do a basic test on the PSU by using the paperclip trick as well, as long as you put some kind of load on it (such as a disc drive).

Now I'm just gonna say this, It's worked for me several times, even after my dog decided to mark my last tower. First I reseated everything and made sure all of the cables were dry. It still didn't turn on after that. Then I removed the CIMOS battery from the motherboard and put it back it back it after 30 seconds, POST will flip on you and you will need to reset your time later, but its not bad to reset and such. You're not going to loose anything if you try :3

Start checking just the main board, pull it out of the case with just cpu/heatsink and fan. leave just one memory module on it and if it has on board video, use that if you can. Set the board on a non-conductive surface and connect the power supply's 24 pin connector, the 4/8 pin connector for the cpu and your video card if you have to use that. See if it'll post by temp shorting out the pwr on pins on the front panel header. If it does post, connect the hard drive and see if windows will boot up

I just used my mom's custom PC to test out the most important components. The results: the Power supply can do a charge just fine, great. The GTX 570 in the other PC has proven unsuccessful because it posts artifacts and scrambles colors all over the screen. She has a GTX 640 and I first tried no GPU in my setup, X860 PSU, and no post. Addition of the GTX 640, X860 PSU, no post. The motherboard and GPU are not working from what I can gather. I plan on getting the newer Crossfire Formula-Z mobo and a GTX 960 ASAP.

I just used my mom's custom PC to test out the most important components. The results: the Power supply can do a charge just fine, great. The GTX 570 in the other PC has proven unsuccessful because it posts artifacts and scrambles colors all over the screen. She has a GTX 640 and I first tried no GPU in my setup, X860 PSU, and no post. Addition of the GTX 640, X860 PSU, no post. The motherboard and GPU are not working from what I can gather. I plan on getting the newer Crossfire Formula-Z mobo and a GTX 960 ASAP.
Do what I suggested above, you may have shorted something and I noticed when I remove the battery after shorting something in my mobo it works.

Do what I suggested above, you may have shorted something and I noticed when I remove the battery after shorting something in my mobo it works.

I will do this in just a moment. I just tested the HDDs and SSD. They are also good. I will have to test out my fans too.

UPDATE:

Removing the CMOS battery for so long doesnt work. No RAM, no GPU in it doesnt do anything either. About to test the FANS that got wet and RAM in this PC. I just ordered the GTX 960 off Amazon for tomorrow. Great price. I plan on keeping it temporarily until the next wave of graphics cards come:

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-...e=UTF8&qid=1423802669&sr=8-1&keywords=gtx+960

Last edited:
Alright so I may have figured out the problem more clearer this time. It looks like the molex rail connecting from the PSU in one plug to the mobo near the PCI-E lanes (perhaps for more power down there) is messed up. I switched to a different rail using the same molex rail and now my old mobo is powering up just fine. The quick turn on and off happened the same with the new mobo too I just tried without that plug and it worked. I went to Micro Center in Tustin, CA for the newer Crossfire V Formula-Z for nothing! Oy. Well at least I know now that I dont need a new mobo after all. 15 day return policy. I now have to wait for my new GPU and I should be set. I will update later today of my final results.

Back
Top Bottom