Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandingo

In Runtime
I have a puter that has a 80gb WD H.D. I just bought a 160gb seagate H.D. to replace it. I tryed hooking up the new 160gb drive as a slave and the origanal as master so I could transfer all the data onto the new one, but the puter is not recognizing the drive. I go into windows on My Computer and only see my main 80gb drive. I tried to unhook the 80gb drive and just format the new 160gb and it wont read it. I then downloaded Seagate DiskWizard and tryed to see if that would work, but it didnt. I went into bios to see if I could have it auto detect the drive...but wont. It shows the model # in bios, but wont detect. The 80gb hard drive that has been in it uses the IDE ata flat ribbon cable. I dont know the type of motherboard so I dont know what it is...ATA 100, ATA 133. So the new drive I bought I got it as a ATA 100 figuring it wold work. I just figured it would be compatible, its the same cable hook up...Does it matter? And I noticed when i ran the DiskWizard it said there was no SCSi drive detected. WHat is SCSI? Is that my problem? Im lost on this one. Can anyone help?

Ok, I tried hooking it up as master again and just put windows xp in and booted it. A strange beeping noise started and a screen came up that said///!!!WARNING!!! Disk boot sector is to be modified. Type "Y" to accept, any key to abort. WHat the heck is that?

So did you unhook the main hard drive when you did this?Have you tried using a win 98 boot disk and run fdisk with just that new drive in there and then create an active partition first and then try to format...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom