Help, 2nd power supply blown,

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbcudenver

Solid State Member
Help, Power supply blown for the 2nd Time

My power supply has blown for the second time, I bought an aspire power supply rated for 500 watts for my custom built computer, the first one went in a few days, sent it back to online store, get a replacement, same model, and the second one went with in 2 days, my computer is only running a amd 64 3500 and one hard drive, I have no graphics graphics cards or anythings drawing alot of power, I want to know if this is my computer or the power supply is just bad, Any help would be nice
thanks
brett

my guess is either you have some seriously unreliable power in your location or perhaps the motherboard is electrically shorting against the case. it could also be entirely possible you have just been unlucky enough to get two dud power supplies, it does happen.

make sure the motherboard is not touching the case with any electrical contacts AND that the screws/posts that mount it (i hope you used these :D) aren't contacting any electrical contacts either. if a third one blows and you're sure it wasn't shorting then i think we can rule out coincidence and shorting which would lead me to believe you just have poor mains power. a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply, also called power conditioners) may solve the problem.

as an after thought, are you certain the switch at the back of the power supply is set to the correct voltage for your locale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom