HELP!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xjamiex

Beta member
I'm having all kinds of problems with my computer. It runs on Vista. My husband called me at work last night to say he keeps getting a popup saying our computer was infected. I told him not to click on it but of course, he did. IT was from Vista Internet Security and it highjacked everything. Now I have no icons or start up taskbar...just my desktop. The only way I can open things is in windows task manager but even then not everything opens. Also now everything is opening with IE. I saw that this happened to someone else and followed the instructions but I can't open anything I download because when it downloads it only offers two options, save and cancel. When I click open it tries opening with IE, ANy help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried going into safe mode and see if you can run any virus/malware scans from there?

Have you tried going into safe mode and see if you can run any virus/malware scans from there?
that wont work because safe mode blocks all unotherized programs but start it in safe mode with command prompt and if you can get the taskbar and icons then you wont have to restart your system but you can go into the system settings and restore to the EARLIEST point you can make sure that the older than 5 days box IS NOT checked. and if that dosnt work then i am sorry but you will have to COMPLEATLY reinstall your OS.

but this sounds like an old ID 10 T error :p

Uh, crashing... No... an antivirus or malware killer will check every file, rather it is authorized or not.

Welcome y'all to TF, though.

Uh, crashing... No... an antivirus or malware killer will check every file, rather it is authorized or not.

Welcome y'all to TF, though.

that would be only if you started with command prompt because the files are read VIA NTFS and since thoughs are encrypted then that wont work i would know this because i have had this happen it is the only way it works...

I would say you should try safe mode and see what you can do. If that won't work, then go into safe mode, take all the files and everything off the computer that you need, and reinstall. I have never had an issue with launching in safe mode to fix people's computers though.

This virus has been going around. You can kill it in safe mode. Just boot into safemode and take care of it with antivirus. It's a really simple virus to take down. I've taken it off several computers in the past weeks.

that would be only if you started with command prompt because the files are read VIA NTFS and since thoughs are encrypted then that wont work i would know this because i have had this happen it is the only way it works...

I never had a problem with a virus/malware checker in safe mode.

This virus has been going around. You can kill it in safe mode. Just boot into safemode and take care of it with antivirus. It's a really simple virus to take down. I've taken it off several computers in the past weeks.

^do that :)

I'm not quite sure how computer savvy you are, so...

To get into safe mode, tap F6 repeatedly as soon as you turn on your computer (preferably immediately after the POST). Select 'safe mode' from the options listed.

Once you're in safemode, download both rkill and malwarebytes.

Run rkill first to terminate any infectious processes (safe mode isn't so safe anymore) and then start a full system scan with malwarebytes.

That should take care of your infection. Cheers and good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom