Hehe I am not having a good week...Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingadilly

Baseband Member
Okies Hello again all :)

On the back of trying to diagnose what seems to be a cooling problem on my own system, I get a call from my dad who has an KT3 ultra2-R based system which he uses for his business. telling me that his comp won't start up and could i look at it for him.
So I did and it seems that the comp just froze whilst doing nothing particuarly stressful. (transferring some pics from phone to pc i believe) when it froze up. He restarted the system via the power button and now it won't boot.

From what i've managed to work out the BIOS had lost all trace of both its internal HDD (an 80Gb Boot and a 250Gb storage) I opened it up and moved the IDE lead over to IDE3 (RAID) and managed to get it to boot up without any real problems at all.

I'm unable to get IDE 1 or 2 to detect anything. No HDD, No Optical drives, nothing.
Was thinking mebbe IRQ conflict or something but device manager showed no conflicts and nothing on the system has been changed or anything new plugged in (that I know of)

When you take on someone elses problem it becomes your problem and somehow seems to make giving up a whole lot less possible :p

Anyone think they know how to get the IDE 1 and 2 to detect HDD again?
I've run thru the BIOS and i'm sure the settings are right (IDE channels = Both etc etc)

All Input very much appreciated :)

Ding

Ok so it has taken me nearly all day but i've gotten somewhere in the right direction with this one.
Was able to repair the master boot record through the XP cd recovery console (that admin password was a real doozie though..)
And now have what appears to be both(master and slave) of my IDE 1 functions back! :p

Problem now is hopefully a much easier one. I have two HDD attatched as master and slave on primary IDE.
Boot was real fast with just master, significantly slower with both drives hooked up.

Looking through disk management I noticed that none of my drives have been allocated drive letters. (Even though they are present on the My computer screen) I also noticed to my dismay that i have TWO active partitions on a single OS system.
One Active partition is marked correctly as my old C:\ drive, the other is a storage volume that was previously the F:\

How can i turn off the active partition on this second drive?

Anyone know.

Answers on a reply :)

Ding

Ok so it has taken me nearly all day but i've gotten somewhere in the right direction with this one.
Was able to repair the master boot record through the XP cd recovery console (that admin password was a real doozie though..)
And now have what appears to be both(master and slave) of my IDE 1 functions back! :p

Problem now is hopefully a much easier one. I have two HDD attatched as master and slave on primary IDE.
Boot was real fast with just master, significantly slower with both drives hooked up.
get another IDE cable, and hook each one up to their own channel.

Looking through disk management I noticed that none of my drives have been allocated drive letters. (Even though they are present on the My computer screen) I also noticed to my dismay that i have TWO active partitions on a single OS system.
One Active partition is marked correctly as my old C:\ drive, the other is a storage volume that was previously the F:\

How can i turn off the active partition on this second drive?
I don't think it matters if the second partition is active.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom