Heatsink Removal Help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Heatsink Removal Help

Hi,
Im having a really hard time trying to remove my CPU's Heatsink. I have tried pressing the clips, pulling the clips, pull/turn, push/turn both ways everything, and am in fear of breaking the clips or the heatsink.

If anyone could advise me if there are any tricks to getting the thing loose, I would be greatly appreciative.

The heatsink I have on my computer is a Spire CoolFlow III (I think, its either that or one extremely similar).

Here is a link : SP550S7-CoolFlow III™

Thanks for your time!

Old 02-22-2010, 02:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: Heatsink Removal Help

Are you saying that you can't get the clips out of the motherboard? You should be able to turn the clips a certain way and it should come right out.

Noctua NH-D14
ATI Radeon HD5870
Corsair 6gb DDR3 1600
Corsair 850HX PSU
OCZ Vertex 2 120gb SSD
WD Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500gb
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

I know someone who pressed yes...
His home and family Combusted Spontaneously...
Old 02-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by memory View Post
Are you saying that you can't get the clips out of the motherboard? You should be able to turn the clips a certain way and it should come right out.
That's right, I've tried for a good 30 minutes.. they just seem to be totally stuck. Tried forcing them a certain way and they still don't budge! :S
Old 02-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

looking at the manual I would turn the black part of the push pin counter clockwise then pull up.

Worst case you can pull the mother board to see how they work underneath the board.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 02-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefemeister View Post
looking at the manual I would turn the black part of the push pin counter clockwise then pull up.

Worst case you can pull the mother board to see how they work underneath the board.
Gave that a go just now, it doesnt "turn" it bends or leans to the side. After doing this, I cant seem to see a way of pulling it up =\. Its really frustrating because I know that there is either going to be a stupidly simple solution or itll break lol!
Old 02-22-2010, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar

I've found that you have to sometimes have three of those pins pushed and turned at the same time - requiring a third hand.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexluethar View Post
I've found that you have to sometimes have three of those pins pushed and turned at the same time - requiring a third hand.
Ok, thanks, Ill try that out in a little while and let you know, though im having trouble even turning one lol :S ... Poor design imo =\
Old 02-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hi, I gave it a go for about another 30 minutes. I'm getting seriously frustrated now, i can't for the life of me get the clips to budge, and my fingers are really hurting from trying to force the clips due to so many failed attemps. My brother also tried helping me for a good 20 minutes, and its proving to be a seriously difficult task for some reason. What a terrible design on the product.

They don't push in, they dont twist / turn because theyre right up against the heatsink / fan case. They wobble a little side to side, but dont go any further even when forcing.. :S

There must be some nak to it, but I cant figure it out. I don't know how to get the heatsink off without doing some bad damage to the mobo or destroying the part itself.

Does anyone else have any suggestions??

Thanks
Old 02-23-2010, 01:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Have you pulled the mb yet?

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 02-23-2010, 08:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefemeister View Post
Have you pulled the mb yet?
No, not yet - havent had the time since to go ahed and take everything out. Ill look into doing it sometime later today.

Closed Thread