Heatsink Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrax

Daemon Poster
Ok, just as I was viewing this forum, I looked inside my new computer, and the heatsink fan had stopped. It was still going, but it was jumping, like, going, then stopping, then going, then stopping. But it wasn't getting up any speed when it was going. What's wrong with it? It hasn't done it again since, but it freaked me out.

Motherboard or powersupply, Get an adaptor and plug it in direct (or solder it on yourself) to the psu. You can also try another fan connector on the board but make sure the motherboard isn't limiting the speed because it might try to slow it down if its a chassis fan connector. It could be the fan but using an adaptor will tell you for sure if it is or not. Is the hsf clean?

You could also have a temp sensor on. I have my fan setup up so that the fan turns on when the temp reaches 25C i beleive. Every once in awhile it will stop, turn on, stop, turn on when the temp is fluctuating around 25C. Do you have something like this setup?

thebleakness said:
You could also have a temp sensor on. I have my fan setup up so that the fan turns on when the temp reaches 25C i beleive. Every once in awhile it will stop, turn on, stop, turn on when the temp is fluctuating around 25C. Do you have something like this setup?

Um, I'm not sure. How do I check?

I don't think that is it for one if it was 26c with no fan running it wouldn't be at 26c for long!! There is also a minimum fan speed of about 1500 rpm that is set by the bios and you can try turning it down but it won't.

Trying to hard wire your fan to a power supply could kill it if you dont know what you are doing. the fan usually has 3 or 4 wires and some are for signals. what you could do is monitor the situation for a while and if you see the fan behaving erratically again then take a check of the motherboard and cpu temps.

i am assuming that u run the dfi board and the amd cpu you listed. if the temps are relatively cool when the fan stutters then it could be just as the bleakness guy said. maybe the fan only comes on at certain temperatures and amd cool n quiet is working wonders. from what i have seen, amd cool and quiet can step down a cpu speed and voltage in a very impressive way which makes it run super cool when its idle. so if the fan stutters when ur doing little cpu intensive stuff then it could be nothing to worry about. however if you see the fan stuttering while gaming or such, then you might want to test the fan. it would suck if the problem was your dfi board though :( even if it is the board then just hard wire the fan to a molex connector or something.

Yeah, but when I restart it or anything it goes fine again. I think it's because I put my computer in standby mode. When I put it on from that mode, the fan stops, then starts, then when I restart it's fine.

yea mine does the exact same thing, but i know i have the cpu censor for the temp. you prolly have the same thing, but i'd make sure of it before you let it go.

its probably cool enough to run without the fan at the moment :) i.e. temp is below fan spinup setting. i used to get freaked out on cold mornings when it happened with my stock HSF. happens all the time with the typhoon. considering NZ is probably considerably colder than perth at the moment i wouldn't be surprised if its cool enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom