Headphone Jack Not Working Right - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2015, 11:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question Headphone Jack Not Working Right

Hey everybody, I have a very important question. My tablet's headphone jack is having a problem, and no matter what headphones I use when I turn the volume all the way up, it only has the volume of turning it about 1/4 or 1/5 of the way up. When it happened I was playing my guitar to some music, and I have the volume up all the way so I could still hear the music over the guitar. But then I heard some static and the sound went out. My first thought was that YouTube messed up and the video froze, but I quickly realized that that wasn't the problem. So I thought it was the headphones, which I've had since Christmas and they were only $20. Then I tried with my Dad's headphones and I have the same problem. My tablet is in good condition, as I've only dropped it a couple times on carpet and I never dropped it into any water or anything. But then again, I don't think that would have anything to do with it because it just randomly cut out while playing a YouTube video.

(BTW, I'm using a 8GB Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook)

Bossgamer875735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Headphone Jack Not Working Right

I really hope it isn't the case, but it almost sounds like you pushed the internal DAC too hard :s

What did you have plugged into the headphone jack when the issue first happened (when you were playing your guitar)?

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
I really hope it isn't the case, but it almost sounds like you pushed the internal DAC too hard :s

What did you have plugged into the headphone jack when the issue first happened (when you were playing your guitar)?
I just had my ****ty 20$ headphones plugged in. And not to be too much of a noob, but what is the internal DAC?
Old 10-07-2015, 12:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Digital to Analogue Converter, it converts your songs to a signal that can be used with speakers or headphones.

I should have just said "some part of your audio circuit has blown" though - I'm unsure exactly what parts would be affected.

THIS guy had the same issue you're describing though - in his case it was brought about by using low-impedance headphones. Too low an impedance could allow a higher current to run, which could easily damage/overpower a mediocre audio circuit.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
Digital to Analogue Converter, it converts your songs to a signal that can be used with speakers or headphones.

I should have just said "some part of your audio circuit has blown" though - I'm unsure exactly what parts would be affected.

THIS guy had the same issue you're describing though - in his case it was brought about by using low-impedance headphones. Too low an impedance could allow a higher current to run, which could easily damage/overpower a mediocre audio circuit.
Is there anything I can do to fix it? I can watch videos amd stuff with my tablet at full volume, as long as it's not too loud around me, but there is 0 chance I could play guitar with it.