HDD Video Playback Issues

This is actually an issue I have when streaming some files to my TV/PS3, not playing locally. Both from external and internal drives. I'm thinking my issue is related to a codec problem but I haven't really tested the theory yet since I'm looking to reformat soon anyway...

Though I don't think the problem is in your players, try VLC anyway. It installs a bunch of codecs on its own, so that would be a good control in this experiment if it's a codec issue. No need to uninstall K-lite since VLC won't pick it up anyway, it only uses its internal codecs. You can also enable gpu rendering/acceleration in the advanced menu, which is nice and helps with some stuttering issues.

VLC will pick up external codecs, trust me, I have watched enough anime where I have had to download a different codec version because VLC wouldn't decode properly.

Also, WMP/MPC sucks 99% of the time IMO. Never can get those stupid things to play nice with my stuff.

So what do you guys think I should do, uninstall Klite and download VLC or what would be a good program. I've been moving the files over to my main HDD so this doesn't happen but my main HDD has like 300Gigs left only and all the video files is around 400 so it's quite annoying to have to drag some over delete them drag the next etc.
Some of my videos will also have (kind of) a screen tearing effect, not exactly like it but, the weird thing is sometimes if i go back and play the section over it will happen and sometimes it wont, like sometimes its the exact same effect then its not there the next time and each (screen tear) is not the same generally but it's weird. This never matters which hard drive its on though.

Last edited:
VLC will pick up external codecs, trust me, I have watched enough anime where I have had to download a different codec version because VLC wouldn't decode properly.

Must have changed with recent versions in the past year or two then, it used to not pick up external codecs.

if you want an htpc experience, i've gotten even better performance with xbmc 11 with dsplayer (<-- important: must have dsplayer) compared against vlc and mpc-hc.

in my experience, xmbc with dsplayer is much more efficient than vlc, which is slightly more efficient than mpc-hc, which is slightly more efficient than wmp.

Well I watched alot of episodes last night and it didn't do the screen pause thing but when I woke up the mouthing of the words wasnt in sync anymore.

was using vlc by the way

Are you sure your video files aren't screwed? Copy one that is know to mess up 100% of the time to your machine and play it locally, if it still screws up, consider it to be bad IMO.
Unless of course, this file is different, something like HD AVI? Can you click on Tools and then Codec information, then tell us everything listed, and also tell us the Stats listed on the stats tab? This is while in VLC with a video messing up.

Other than that, I am back to crappy HDD over USB2.0 with high quality files, or corrupted video files since you said you have tried different codecs/players.

Last edited:
All the issues with it pausing stopped when I started using VLC but like I said I left it on overnight and when I woke up the mouthing was off but just restarting VLC fixed that, so no issues right now really. It never really did anything but have some weird screen tearing when I play it locally that happened on both but I think that is gone now using VLC. Thanks to everyone who helped out, If something else occurs I'll be back.

My latest video, nothing has really messed up and I can't get the mouthing to be off sync again but here are some video stats and etc.

Stream 0
Codec: MPEG-4 Video (XVID)
Resolution: 624x352
Frame rate: 23.976023
Decoded format: Planar 4:2:0 YUV
Stream 1
Type: Audio
Codec: MPEG Audio layer 1/2/3 (mpga)
Channels: Stereo
Sample rate: 48000 Hz
Bitrate: 96 kb/s

M16aa.png