HDD Troubles, Please please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's partition tables and you can get a copy of partition magic, that automatically looks for errors in the drive. I think I've fixed a few things with that before. It might be a lot more than what you want, but I don't know what else woudl do it. PartitionMagic isn't free, and since I don't know what the policy is on this forum I won't encourage you to check something like Limewire.

You are going to have to find a different hard drive to recover the files to. If you try to put them back on source drive your just asking for problems. I suggest you find an external hard drive you can borrow from somone that has 60gigs free. That way you can saftley recover the files to it and then format your messed up drive.
OR
You can recover small ammounts of files at a time, put them on your working hard drive (where your OS is running now) then burn to CD or DVD if you have a burner drive. Once you burn the first small amount of files you can delete from your hard drive and keep going like that. That way you wont run out of space.
OR
If you are on a network you can ask an admin to open up 60gigs worth of server space and dump your recovered files there.

I don't mind spending the money to get partition magic if that is what will work. I recently had major spine surgery and all of my music, medical documents, photos, etc. were on that drive. Recover my files works, but it renames everything and that's over 4 thousand files to rename, organize and transfer to my new 300gig external hdd. So, if there is anyway to correct the problem even just enough that I can use it to copy the files to my new external I'd be happy, especially if there's a way to do this without having to rename 4 thousand files. As i said, i don't mind paying for partition magic so long as it, or whatever else suggested will get the job done. Thanks again.

I myself have never used partition magic so I can't tell you if you will have success with it. Somone else here will be able to help you more.

if anyone could offer some advice/instructions on what to do once I have partition magic 8, I'd appreciate it. Right now, I'm a bit unsure.

Its a very easy program after you install it. You will see the options on the left panel and it will walk you through everything.
It got a very easy learning curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom