HDD Stops my computer from booting? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default HDD Stops my computer from booting?

So my main HDD a few days ago started playing up and apparently some windows files got corrupted, it was about 2-3 years old so not too fussed.

Bought a new HDD, installed Vista x64 on it (same as previously), and then proceeded to hook up the power and sata cable to my previous hard drive so I can take a few of my files on to my new hard drive.

I should note that I don't think the entire hard drive is stuffed, cause it was having errors for a few hours while I was still using the computer which would suggest something was wrong but parts, well most, was still working, but it refused to turn back on after a reboot.

Anyway, so they're both plugged in (both sata), boots up as per usual, goes to the vista loading screen, bar rolling across the bottom etc, then the screen goes black... and stays black. Doesn't turn off the computer, doesn't restart it, it'll just sit there black forever.

I'm wondering if there's any way that I can get my files off my old HDD? I don't have an external caddie to hook the HDD up and try use it as a USB. Also in BIOS the new HDD is top priority, the older one isn't even in the top 3 list.

Thanks,

Sydz

92% of teenagers have put some stupid made up statistic in their signature. If you're one of the 8% that aren't quite as gulliable, copy this.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
AKA ComatoseClown

Send a message via AIM to H4x3r Send a message via MSN to H4x3r
Default Re: HDD Stops my computer from booting?

try using it in a different SATA port if possible, if that still doesn't work you might try a linux live distro like Knoppix to recover the data.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via MSN to FlashDude

Have you messed with the boot order in the bios? It sounds like it is still trying to boot from the muffed drive, see if you can set it down in boot priority.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDude View Post
Have you messed with the boot order in the bios? It sounds like it is still trying to boot from the muffed drive, see if you can set it down in boot priority.
yup. that's what I was going to suggest.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
AKA ComatoseClown

Send a message via AIM to H4x3r Send a message via MSN to H4x3r

Yeah, that's what i thought too, but then i read this

Quote:
Anyway, so they're both plugged in (both sata), boots up as per usual, goes to the vista loading screen, bar rolling across the bottom etc, then the screen goes black... and stays black. Doesn't turn off the computer, doesn't restart it, it'll just sit there black forever.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

That sounds like a bad video driver to me. Can you get into Safe mode?

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread