HDD Startup Issues

On Saturday, I booted up the computer on 1 stick of RAM to download MemTest. Since I had to leave for the day, I decided to leave my computer on. I came back 12 hours later and my computer was still on sitting at the desktop.

Now I am trying to run MemTest. I've tried both sticks together, and each one separate. My computer shuts down during each test at only about 4%.

I also went into my BIOS to check those settings and yes, those are all enabled. I've only messed with my BIOS to change the booting order. On another note, my BIOS has said my CPU is at 95C! I then restarted and looked at Speed Fan and it said it was at 50C. I've heard in the past, the temp in the BIOS can't be trusted all the time.

And ALL fans are plugged in along with the side of the case off.

I also went back and looked at reviews on Newegg of this mobo and it seems over time, other people have had problems with RAM.

Any ways.. any conclusions?

Last edited:
I think I figured out the problem. I kept thinking about those high core temps (50s-60s) that I was seeing, so I reseated the CPU and applied new thermal compound. Started up and now my temps are 27C-35C so far. I was able to run MemTest with both RAM sticks and it did not find any errors. So far, everything is running great. I now have both HDD plugged in as well as the DVDRW drive. The CPU must have just been overheating.

I can't thank you enough for the help you've offered me. If you have any other thoughts or recommendations of tests to run, I'd be glad to do it, but so far, so good!

Back
Top Bottom