HDD space missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have xp with an old service pack or installed with an older service pack.

If you have already updated to sp3 look in disk management and you should see the rest as unallocated space. You can use gparted to extend the partition.

If not update to sp3.

base windows XP will only give you a max value of 130 odd gb on any one drive, so yeah install a service pack and you can have up to a terrabyte i believe.

You can have up to a lot more than a terabyte. Otherwise you're correct :D

You should install updates/service packs regardless anyway. They are patches to help keep your system secure, and without them you pose yourself to the threats you are un-patched against.

And Braz, I believe you're going to have to either: a) reinstall with a XP disc that has at least SP1 (slipstream an XP disc with SP3 if you want), or b) resize the partition to take up all of the remaining space. Can do this with a GParted LiveCD.

naw G carnage has the right idea but what you should do is download the hard-drives system tools from the manufacturers website or

ultimate boot disk or hirens 7.1, disks with alot of tools on for testing.

basically you can go two routes with this, use the manufacturers tools to wipe the drive and they pretty much all have an option to set the drive up for a particular operating system, if you choose to set it up for Windows XP SP1+ higher then you can create that 500gb main partition.

the second route, install a service pack now and head to control panel, admin tools, computer management and then disk management and create a secondary partition with the remaining space.

do this my son and you shall not go wrong /sheep out

The HDD manuf. tools won't be as good. GParted is a very powerful free tool, most others will agree with me on this.

BTW, Hiren's is up to 9.x (can't remember the latest revision) ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom