HDD sound

percussionman11

Baseband Member
Getting a weird sound from my new hard drive model number WD4004FZWX. It is constant and very annoying as I can feel it every time it does this radiating through my floor. I've got 4 other hard drives either in the computer or that were recently in it and none have ever made this sound.

For that reason I returned the first hard drive I received as it made the same sound. Any suggestions? Not sure if it is a defect per say as it's the second one to do it but it is really starting to bother me. Below is a video of what I'm experiencing. you can hear the sound at the 5, 10 and 15 second marks (might need to turn your sound up or use headphones). Thanks in advance.

https://youtu.be/dtrlv1xLNow

Is it actually working ok? i.e. can you read/write to the drive? Sounds very dodgy, like it's constantly seeking or having the head reset.

Have you tried powering it using one of the power cables going to a working/good drive? Just in case it's an issue with the power supply reaching the hdd, I'd say unplug one of your other ones and plug in the problem drive in its place.

Thanks for the response. I just double checked it with several cables both power and SATA from other drives with same issue.

Additionally I also tried unplugging extra drives to see if it will help with no luck.

I should note I am running a Solid state for my OS and this drive for extra storage in case that helps understand my setup (In total I have 2 SSD and 2 HDD in the computer with all but one of the SSD being used for storage).

Hmm, googling "WD 4TB clicking" it seems this is a very common issue. Other people downloaded disk test software like crystaldisk and found no issues whatsoever, so could just be that that's how it sounds? o_O Unfortunately I don't have any WD black drives here to test with sorry

Have you tried running any hdd test software to verify the drive is ok?

If it passes the test suite and you're not noticing any issues with read/write speeds, then I'd say it must just be the drive model :/ bit annoying but tbh WD Blacks were never meant to be silent operators. They're performance drives, and as such run louder and hotter than their Blue or Green counterparts.

Back
Top Bottom