HDD sound - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2017, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Question HDD sound

Getting a weird sound from my new hard drive model number WD4004FZWX. It is constant and very annoying as I can feel it every time it does this radiating through my floor. I've got 4 other hard drives either in the computer or that were recently in it and none have ever made this sound.

For that reason I returned the first hard drive I received as it made the same sound. Any suggestions? Not sure if it is a defect per say as it's the second one to do it but it is really starting to bother me. Below is a video of what I'm experiencing. you can hear the sound at the 5, 10 and 15 second marks (might need to turn your sound up or use headphones). Thanks in advance.

https://youtu.be/dtrlv1xLNow

percussionman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: HDD sound

Is it actually working ok? i.e. can you read/write to the drive? Sounds very dodgy, like it's constantly seeking or having the head reset.

Have you tried powering it using one of the power cables going to a working/good drive? Just in case it's an issue with the power supply reaching the hdd, I'd say unplug one of your other ones and plug in the problem drive in its place.

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Thanks for the response. I just double checked it with several cables both power and SATA from other drives with same issue.

Additionally I also tried unplugging extra drives to see if it will help with no luck.

I should note I am running a Solid state for my OS and this drive for extra storage in case that helps understand my setup (In total I have 2 SSD and 2 HDD in the computer with all but one of the SSD being used for storage).
Old 02-16-2017, 03:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Hmm, googling "WD 4TB clicking" it seems this is a very common issue. Other people downloaded disk test software like crystaldisk and found no issues whatsoever, so could just be that that's how it sounds? o.O Unfortunately I don't have any WD black drives here to test with sorry

Have you tried running any hdd test software to verify the drive is ok?
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 02-16-2017, 02:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Any suggestions on software to run? Admittedly I'm not too familiar with the options out there.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

WD make their own testing software, here's the direct link: http://downloads.wdc.com/windlg/WinDlg_v1_31.zip

There's instructions here if you need them: http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en
(Expand "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows" section under "Software for Windows")
Old 02-17-2017, 08:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Night Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
WD make their own testing software, here's the direct link: http://downloads.wdc.com/windlg/WinDlg_v1_31.zip

There's instructions here if you need them: Software and Firmware Downloads | WD Support
(Expand "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows" section under "Software for Windows")
+1

Always try to use the manufacturer's diagnostics when possible as they are typically the most accurate.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Used the manufacturers software and everything came back as a PASS. Any other suggestions?
Old 02-21-2017, 09:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

If it passes the test suite and you're not noticing any issues with read/write speeds, then I'd say it must just be the drive model :/ bit annoying but tbh WD Blacks were never meant to be silent operators. They're performance drives, and as such run louder and hotter than their Blue or Green counterparts.