HDD size decreased

Status
Not open for further replies.

SYSTEM_ERROR !

Beta member
Hello! folks this is my first post..
My apologies if anybody had answered to this similar question of mine..

My Desktop PC - Config
New
Before :-
2 GHz
RAM : 512
SAMSUNG HDD : 40 GB

Today
After :-
2 GHz
RAM : 512
SAMSUNG HDD : 37.2 GB

I had formatted HDD many times (around 4-5 times) for various reasons,like installing new OS's and etc....

I wonder why my HDD size has decreased from 40 GB to 37.2 GB
Is there any way to recover my lost 2.8 GB

I am not a techie when it comes to HDD formating so please tell me the right way to FORMAT the HDD for Clean and Fresh OS installation. Also give some instructions to create partitions

Your help is APPRECIATED
thanx 2 all in ADVANCE

Actually the size of my HDD when bought NEW was 40 GB.(offcourse without OS)
Earlier i had FAT32 and now its NTFS

Capacity of HDD : 40 GB

example :
first format no diff 40 GB : 40 GB

second format 40 GB : 39.2 GB

third format 40 GB : 38.2 GB

fourth format 40 GB : 37.2 GB

And now when i check the HDD Properties it shows 37.2 GB

Why do i get the diff of 2.8 GB, is something wrong with my HDD or, does the HDD size gets decreasing everytime i format it?

Attached is the Screenshot of HDD Properties

Attachments

• hdd_properties.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 32
well theres only one thing left to do, format it 37 more times, so when you install the last time it'll install into the twilight zone.

:) I just wish I could have embeded the theme song.

Only thing you could try is to repartition the drive..... Is this a 40 GB drive, or just a 40 gig partition? According to my calc 40 GB drive should be 38.1 real GB. 37.9 Isn't so far off that mark, .2 could account for just bad sectors. Thats drive though, 40 gig partition would be something else.

As for the different sizes you've encountered, I have encounter different sizes within windows, depending on what program or script is looking at the drive.

If it continues to shrink though it could be having a bad head, causing write or read errors that are mismarking good sectors bad, thus decressing the size...... I'd think this would happen slowly though, and not all at one.... I've never heard of anything like that ever happening though.

@ Sui
Thnx for ur help...and yes this is a 40_GB HDD, i had no partition on the disc , i had also cleaned & defraged the disk for empty space , also checked for bad sectors, but found no errors..
Any further help regarding formating and partition is Appreciated

Regards..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom