HDD problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default HDD problems

So, i have an old 1TB HDD that i keept from an old build, maybe 2-3 years old? Hasn't been used since then. Windows doesnt seem to want to install on the new PC, i'm pretty sure that HD was corrupted or something, but wouldn't formatting it remove that and make windows install on a different part?

I won't be able to use my new pc

What if i was to take the HD out of my HP Pro desktop, and put that inside the new PC? Uninstall all the drivers, and use that, would that work?

TheHumanComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: HDD problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHumanComputer View Post
So, i have an old 1TB HDD that i keept from an old build, maybe 2-3 years old? Hasn't been used since then. Windows doesnt seem to want to install on the new PC, i'm pretty sure that HD was corrupted or something, but wouldn't formatting it remove that and make windows install on a different part?
Does the drive have any bad sectors? Run a chkdsk /f on it from recovery (or hooked up to another PC as a secondary drive) and see what it finds out.

Quote:
I won't be able to use my new pc

What if i was to take the HD out of my HP Pro desktop, and put that inside the new PC? Uninstall all the drivers, and use that, would that work?
50/50 shot. Sometimes Windows will just install the drivers for the new hardware and go along it's merry way - other times it will just throw BSOD's because the hardware profile has changed. I've really only ever seen it work correctly on Windows 7 Pro, but never Home or Enterprise. If it gives BSOD's then you'd have to reinstall Windows to get it to work correctly.

If it works correctly...then you're golden..however, that doesn't shy away from the fact that hardware changed dramatically, and the license will deactivate. If it's a retail license all you have to do is call in and reactivate. If it's running an OEM license...then legally you can't be using that key on the new system (OEM = 1 key, installed on 1 system, no transfers) - you'd have to buy a new key (though there are loopholes around it, but that can't be discussed here).

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Hi! Why don't you test your 1TB HDD with your HP Pro desktop, or am I missing something?? Formatting at HDD will not fix bad sectors. What do you mean you think it was corrupted or something??
14 Free Hard Drive Testing Tools (September 2015)
Sorry Carnage! Looks like I posted the same time! Didn't see you on line!
I'll bow out!
Gary
donetao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Does the drive have any bad sectors? Run a chkdsk /f on it from recovery (or hooked up to another PC as a secondary drive) and see what it finds out.

50/50 shot. Sometimes Windows will just install the drivers for the new hardware and go along it's merry way - other times it will just throw BSOD's because the hardware profile has changed. I've really only ever seen it work correctly on Windows 7 Pro, but never Home or Enterprise. If it gives BSOD's then you'd have to reinstall Windows to get it to work correctly.

If it works correctly...then you're golden..however, that doesn't shy away from the fact that hardware changed dramatically, and the license will deactivate. If it's a retail license all you have to do is call in and reactivate. If it's running an OEM license...then legally you can't be using that key on the new system (OEM = 1 key, installed on 1 system, no transfers) - you'd have to buy a new key (though there are loopholes around it, but that can't be discussed here).
Could if be discussed in PM? lol

I believe i punched my old PC as it got very laggy, so i think that may have damaged the HD, it won't install windows at all, just says windows has run into an error, although i have now sauced a 500gb HD. Will have to try and get my SSD later on.

This HP pro come with windows 8.1, so im guessing it wouldnt work then?
TheHumanComputer is offline   Reply With Quote