HDD Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnageX

Private Joker,
Staff member
Specs in sig. Drive in particular is my 500GB SATA SeaGate drive. It's about 2.5 months old.

So, now to my problem: I've gotten a 0x77 BSOD error twice this week. Both times were when I wasn't at the computer, but found my computer at the log-on screen. Looked in the Event Viewer, and both shown a 0x77 error code. This just started this week. I tried a Chkdsk, and it didn't show anything. Didn't find anything to fix. So last night I ran SeaTools off of the Hiren's Boot CD. I ran the quick test, in-depth test, and the File Structure test. It said the quick/in-depth tests passed, but the File Structure test failed "with critical errors." Here's the report it gave me:

File structure test:

Partition 1 (NTFS (500.1GB) SeaGate) REsult: Failed wiht critical errors.

The following errors were found while scanning the volume:
-One or more file names contained errors.
-One or more errors were found in the index.
-One or more errors were found in metadata file records.
-Other errors were found.

So now, this morning before I went to school, I booted off of my XP disc, went to recovery console, and did a chkdsk /r, so I'll see if that solves anything.

As for the BSOD's, the first time I got it, the computer was sitting idle overnight (well I was torrenting, but this hasn't happened while I was torrenting overnight...and it was torrenting to an external drive). The second time I got it, I started Norton Ghost, and began to do a drive image backup. This was before school in the morning, so I went outside/scraped the frost off of my windows. Came back inside to get all of my stuff, and I see my comp is at the logon screen. Logged back in/started GHost up, and it backed up successfully when I came back home for lunch.

The only thing that I've changed that may have effected my drive, is that I ran O&O Defrag with a COMPLETE /ACCESS defrag. It wasn't letting me defrag the drive (kept saying Chkdsk was getting an error). So one night I did a Chkdsk, it fixed a few errors it found, then ran O&O the next day, and it did a defrag successfully. Could something O&O have done messed the drive up? Is the drive damaged/dying now?

could be...I think trotter likes that app...I don't :D

use these, or not....I use ALL of these

Defraggler
Auslogic disk defrag
jkDefrag
power defragmenter
pagedefrag (sysinternals)
HDtune

maybe do a scan with hdtune first to see what it pulls up...

and that's what you get for torrenting! lol jk :p

Well I ran the error checker in HDTune, and it reported that my drive was fine. The chkdsk from the XP CD I did earlier said that it fixed some files, though. Hopefully it stays that way =\.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom